You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there was a way to disable having a layer be brought to the top of the layer stack after using the tool add?

I'm fairly new to the forums here, and I wasn't sure how to move a post to the bug topics. But this was discussed. 

I was wondering if there was a way to disable having a layer be brought to the top of the layer stack after using the tool add, subtract, intersect and xor in affinity designer? 

For more specifics, if its not in a Art-board, and in it's own group. It works fine when it's on an art-board  But when it's off to the side in it's own group, it leaves and goes out of the group when using the tools.

Thomaso " if all items of the group get merged, the resulting layer is moved upwards on top, while an empty "(Group)" layer remains at their initial position."

1. Are you using the latest release version?
    Yes
  2. Can you reproduce it?
    Yes
  3. Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem?
    Yes
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)?

macOS Big Sur v11.3 

•    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)

For the merged layer not to go to the top. And for the empty group layer to be automatically removed. 

•    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did)

New File, Expanded Art-board using tools, made 3 circles on the artboard, copied the 3 circles and made 6 circles outside of artboard, brought layers below the artboard group, grouped 3 circles, ADD tool the 3 grouped circles and layers were brought to the top leaving an empty group folder. ADD tool the 3 circles not in group and it was also brought to the top.  

•    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video.

Video provided

•    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.

XP-PEN Artist 22 monitor tablet

•    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware)

I probably didn't noticed until it started becoming tedious 

DisableLayerStack.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Uminaga,

Thanks for letting us know - I'll get this passed on to development.

•    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)

For the merged layer not to go to the top. And for the empty group layer to be automatically removed. 

Just to explain that the situation in your file I would still expect the objects to remain inside the group. For example you could have a series of Layer Effects applied to that group, which means when you then perform that operation they will all lose those Layer Effects as they're now outside the group and not look how I wanted/expected them to look.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "Boolean operation causes objects to fall outside of group if performed outside an artboard" (REF: AFD-5452) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1769".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.