You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher table of contents does not update correctly

I have set up my text styles and I have heading 1, heading 2, body and some random non TOC fonts in my publication. I have checked my layers to make sure each element is in the proper order and I still get items under the first heading 1 that belong under a different page. I'm quite using this program because of this issue when it was in BETA, but I tried to come back to it. I have to be doing something wrong. Can anyone help?   I have uploaded the Afpub file. - please note the TOC and the pages where things should go.

Late 6_13_21 DS1.afpub

I’m not sure what has gone wrong here but when I open your document you have no Text Styles defined and you have no TOC defined – see attached image.
Some of the fonts had to be substituted upon opening the file, but that shouldn’t have made that much of a difference.
Am I looking at the correct things?

Screenshot 2021-06-17 095424.png

Are you sure that's the same file you uploaded, @undercovergypsy?

I see what @GarryP showed, not what you have.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, undercovergypsy said:

I have been working on it still so that is why the images are different

What you just uploaded is completely different from the first document you uploaded, as I see it.

Will take a look at the new one. Thanks.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

All the text is different, too, not just the images. Completely different document.

17 hours ago, undercovergypsy said:

and I still get items under the first heading 1 that belong under a different page.

Looking at this part of your TOC:

image.png.8777ca51fb4ef528fdeb524f2e14ed29.png

I think you mean that "Announcements" should be before "Thank You!".

Here's the actual page:

image.png.e8a696259749da7df57dddacffcb2c52.png

I have numbered the Layers panel in the order that items will appear in the TOC, which is from bottom to top. And this matches the order in your actual TOC.

Items that are lower in the Layers stack are presumed to have been created first, and thus to reside higher/earlier on the page. And thus they appear earlier in the TOC. So, to get the TOC in the order you want it, just drag the layers into the proper order in the Layers panel.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

We all make mistakes.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, Peterpine said:

Hi I have similar problem but my layers are in the correct order. Any other suggestions?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Looks to me like your layers are in the wrong (inverse) order. Layers lower in the stack will appear earlier in the TOC, because they are assumed to have been created first.

Unless you reorder them manually:

• The first layer you create is on the bottom of the stack.
  • The next one is above the first one.
  • Etc.

-- Walt
PC:

27 minutes ago, Peterpine said:

To me is what is at the top (layer) should also be at the top in the TOC.

It's the way everything in the Affinity applications work. It's based on the concept of a canvas, and someone painting on it. 

You paint your first stroke, and it's right next to the canvas at the bottom of the layer stack. You paint a second stroke on top of the first one. Then cut through the canvas and look at the edge view. You have: 2nd stroke on top, then first stroke, then canvas. And that's the layer stack (except that the canvas doesn't show in the Layers panel).

If you have a Designer document with multiple Artboards, and export them all as a PDF, the one at the bottom of the Layers panel is page 1. The next higher one is page 2. Etc.

And the TOC handling is just another example of that :)  (though there are some complications that will arise if you Pin one text frame into another one, I think).

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's the way everything in the Affinity applications work. It's based on the concept of a canvas, and someone painting on it. 

Other examples of this "bottom up" concept include how bricks are laid when building a wall, putting away a just-cleaned dinner plate on a stack of dinner plates in a cupboard, & putting new sheets & blankets on a bed.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 10/15/2022 at 6:06 PM, walt.farrell said:

You paint your first stroke, and it's right next to the canvas at the bottom of the layer stack. You paint a second stroke on top of the first one. Then cut through the canvas and look at the edge view. You have: 2nd stroke on top, then first stroke, then canvas. And that's the layer stack (except that the canvas doesn't show in the Layers panel).

If you have a Designer document with multiple Artboards, and export them all as a PDF, the one at the bottom of the Layers panel is page 1. The next higher one is page 2. Etc.

And the TOC handling is just another example of that :)  (though there are some complications that will arise if you Pin one text frame into another one, I think).

Thank you. It makes sense.