You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please let us edit the keyboard shortcut for 'quick zoom' (Spacebar+CMD <-> CMD+Spacebar).. Spacebar is not a modifier key

in the keyboard shortcut editor, 'zoom toggle' is notably absent from the list of editable shortcuts. i would absolutely LOVE it if i could change this to 1. CMD and then 2. +spacebar (in that specific order).

disclaimer: i have decades of photoshop muscle memory.

general fact: control, option, and command are nearly universally modifier keys, meant to be used first in a two-key combo.

affinity's use of spacebar first, then command to zoom into my document is the only software i've personally run across that reverses this concept. i use the zoom shortcut every 30 seconds in the type of work i do, sometimes even more. i play the desktop keyboard the way a guitarist plays a blazing metal solo when i'm designing or illustrating. now, i know there's a lot of Affinity crossover with photoshop's tools and shortcuts, so it would almost be better for me to have a different zoom shortcut entirely to get it further away from my aforementioned muscle memory.

because of this one specific, seemingly 'petty' issue i have with affinity products, i've basically given up on using them for any serious work on desktop. i get much more use out of the iPad versions because zoom is logically replaced by a gesture.

I see other posts on various sites bringing up this issue, and the claims are that this request has been submitted to affinity for years now, probably since v1. i'd be so incredibly appreciative if this was seriously considered and implemented.

thank you for reading and namaste!

12 hours ago, n8r said:

general fact: control, option, and command are nearly universally modifier keys,...

Most Operating Systems in use are not Mac so there is no Command key, did you mean Shift?

12 hours ago, n8r said:

affinity's use of spacebar first, then command to zoom into my document is the only software i've personally run across that reverses this concept.

On my Mac the Command then Spacebar will bring up the Spotlight Search. Yes I could turn that off but have become used to using it.

13 hours ago, n8r said:

... it would almost be better for me to have a different zoom shortcut entirely to get it further away from my aforementioned muscle memory.

Z will bring it up and then Z will return me to the previous tool

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree too. Everytime I switch from Adobe or any other app, I find this to be little big annoyance.

On 6/16/2021 at 5:08 AM, n8r said:

general fact: control, option, and command are nearly universally modifier keys, meant to be used first in a two-key combo.

Perfectly explained. Please don't change long accepted established cross-apps behaviours.

Mac mini M1 / macOS Ventura / 8 GB ram / Wacom Intus pen & touch / Affinity suite v1 & v2

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes! This is very frustrating. Also, some hardware (e.g., the Huion tablets) will rearrange keystroke presses, ordering the modifier key first. AS IT SHOULD BE. So, I am unable to toggle zoom with my drawing pen.