You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best way to divide up a page diagonally for using images/content contained within the divided areas

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I wasn't sure of the relevant terminology, so didn't know what to search for.

What would be the best way to divide up a page with diagonal lines or random areas for use with photos or other content that is contained within each of the created sections (see photo). I made this using shapes, but want to be able to contain photos etc within each of the white spaces and am not sure of the best way to achieve these 'standalone' areas.

Thank you.

Example.jpg

Create a shape for each of the white spaces (e.g. a triangle for the space at bottom left). Place an object such as a photo on the canvas and adjust its position to suit. Now go to the Layers panel, drag the shape and drop it onto the thumbnail of the photo or other target layer: when you do this, the target object will be cropped to the shape. Repeat the procedure for the remaining spaces.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

Create a shape for each of the white spaces (e.g. a triangle for the space at bottom left). Place an object such as a photo on the canvas and adjust its position to suit. Now go to the Layers panel, drag the shape and drop it onto the thumbnail of the photo or other target layer: when you do this, the target object will be cropped to the shape. Repeat the procedure for the remaining spaces.

Thanks very much Alfred - is there a way to do this with a border, but excluding the sides that are on the outside of the page/document?

10 minutes ago, HydroJLW said:

Thanks very much Alfred - is there a way to do this with a border, but excluding the sides that are on the outside of the page/document?

Sorry Alfred, I just realised I could just make a frame cutting one shape out of the other and making it the same colour as the background and putting over the top, which should do it...but if there is a better way, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks again.

7 hours ago, HydroJLW said:

I just realised I could just make a frame cutting one shape out of the other

There’s no need to cut anything out. Simply add a solid rectangle (dark green for the example you posted) as the bottom layer, and cover it with the shapes you want to crop/mask the images or other content. Align the shape to the left- or right-hand edge if you don’t want a border on that side: if you find that you can’t easily align the shape without leaving a thin coloured line at the ‘open’ edge, duplicate the masking shape, apply the background colour to the bottom copy and extend that copy to cover the edge.

Alfred spacer.png

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

There’s no need to cut anything out. Simply add a solid rectangle (dark green for the example you posted) as the bottom layer, and cover it with the shapes you want to crop/mask the images or other content. Align the shape to the left- or right-hand edge if you don’t want a border on that side: if you find that you can’t easily align the shape without leaving a thin coloured line at the ‘open’ edge, duplicate the masking shape, apply the background colour to the bottom copy and extend that copy to cover the edge.

Thank you for your help! 🙂

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

duplicate the masking shape, apply the background colour to the bottom copy and extend that copy to cover the edge

Alternatively, subtract the extended copy from the rectangle (in which case the fill colour doesn’t matter, of course).

Alfred spacer.png