You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I'm really hoping someone can help as I got a little carried away and created a ton of patterns in affinity designer on the iPad and I've been trying to export them as PSD files to work on in Photoshop but it's just not working. It says it's generating the export but nothing happens. I've searched all over the internet, YouTube, Skillshare, here etc.  for advice so finally decided to come and post my own questions as I'm having no joy. I'm not particularly tech savvy so all and any help gratefully received! Thanks 

When you go into the export screen, if you look just above the 'cancel' and 'ok' buttons (bottom centre of screen), what does it say?

How many megabytes (mb) does it say the file will be? (And it says 'mb' not 'gb' doesn't it?)

I've just done a simple exercise and there was no message saying anything, it just allowed me to choose OK, and then save my file. This is why I suspect file size (complexity of your patterns) may be the problem.

If the file size is reasonable.. then the next thing to explore is where you're trying to save the files to.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

• Does it keep saying "generating export" without changing?
  • How long do you give it?

Where it says "Generating Export", it should show you the file size once the export is generated and ready to save.

If it does stick at that screen with "Generating export" never stopping, then I'm pretty confident the problem is the complexity and/or scale of your patterns.

Complex files:

I'd try toggling "smallest file sizes" (list on the left, blue buttons), and see if it copes then. It may still not.

Perhaps some of the 'Preserve accuracy' settings (right side list) instead, or too, will hold the answer... try them out. Combinations. Have a play, see if something works.

If nothing does it, then I'm afraid you'll need to examine your artwork, and look for ways to reduce its complexity or size:

• So check the canvas size and reduce it perhaps if that's OK for what you're trying to achieve. Something to look at and learn about, if you haven't already, is resolutions (pixels per inch [ppi], dots per inch [dpi], and physical size [cm/inch] vs resolution [ppi/dpi]... it's a bit of a brain ache if you're new to it, but it'll make you into a file export ninja, and your pattern-making life forever after will be so much more zen).

• If that isn't possible, then look at how many layers you have in your file. I'm not sure how Affinity Designer exports its layers to psd format, perhaps someone else will happen along who does. In the absence of others advice here, I'd suggest booleaning shapes ( Three Dots Menu > Geometry > Add  ). That will reduce the number of layers and complexity a lot potentially. It's always a good idea anyway, I'd counsel. Patterns especially get really complex really quickly data-wise. Copy the file first if you want to keep the original structure.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

• 6 months later...

Hello @Hannah Inglisand welcome to the forums.

Are you trying to resize to 3000px during the export process or did you resize to 3000x3000px first, then export? If the former, then try the latter procedure.

What format are you trying to export to?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630