You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.10.0.1085

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

• Allow simultaneous stacking of astro images for different filters 
  • Fixed Info Panel not updating properly after opening images
  • Improved Astrophotography to treat calibration masters from iTelescope the same as files from a camera (i.e. the bias is not already subtracted from the master dark)
  • Improved Astrophotography to ignore damaged FITS files
  • Improved Astrophotography for master calibration images created with Maxim DL by iTelescope
  • Fixed Monochromatic Icons not affecting Adjustments Panel 
  • Improved IME text editing
  • Improved support for some lesser used Unicode characters
  • Added Emoji support
  • Fixed SVG export not exporting stretched text correctly when transforms are flattened
  • Fixed SVG import to allow whitespace between "translate" and the following open bracket
  • Fixed RTF export to close small caps correctly
  • Fixed placing an embedded file incorrectly favouring the edited one in memory and not the source file used

Previous release notes

Hello,

i have crashes on my Lenovo Slim 7 while dragging multiple layers (one of them blur live effect).

attached, i send a video and the affinity file.

It occours in the latest official Affinity Photo version, in previous beta and in this current beta.

If i turn off Hardware accelleration, it works.

My system:

Lenovo Slim 7, Intel i7 1165G7, Intel XE Graphics
Latest drivers installed, i tested the official intel drivers and the lenovo ones too.

Thanks for support,

Thomas

ballTex.afphoto

• Staff

Hey @imagodespira, welcome to the forums.

I personally would not trust any drivers from Lenovo. I'd completely remove any relating to the graphics card and get them direct from Intel. I have an Alienware laptop from Dell and it was riddled with drivers and software bundled from purchase. 

It gave me no end of trouble with updates etc. so I had to gut it and start again. I'm not saying this is definitely happening here but it is a possibility. I'd keep OpenCL disabled for now.

Note - I was unable to reproduce this on 3x machines (old AMD PC w/ 390x, Alienware w/ a 2060 and my Desktop with a 3080).

Just started working with Beta 1085 and found that the blend modes are not working. I did just update my NVIDIA Game drivers this AM but the production 1.9.4 version blending is just fine. I had reported earlier with Beta 1083 that the Nikon Z6 Raw was opening but the Develop persona had the remove lens vigette  was checked and unchecking it allowed the removal of the vigette from the image. It seems to be negative logic. on that setting. Going to reinstall BETA 1083 to check the blending. Not sure I used it.

Just uninstalled BETA 1085 and reinstalled 1083. Blend modes not working either. Sorry I do not use blends that often. 

Just noticed that I have to have 2 layers selected to have the blend mode respond on the production 1.9.4. I did not know that was required.  If that is correct than ignore the finding but I do not understand the Blend operation at all. Why should I have to have 2 layers checked? Going to try Beta again. I am puzzled. Going to check the manual. 

The light bulb came on in my head, sorry for the post on the blend mode. I need to start using is more. The Lens Vignette in Develop persona is still a issue. 

Thanks for reading

Computer is 

Windows 10 Pro
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎8/‎31/‎2020
OS build    19043.1052
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz   3.20 GHz
Installed RAM    24.0 GB
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    Pen support

46 minutes ago, shackcf said:

Just started working with Beta 1085 and found that the blend modes are not working. I did just update my NVIDIA Game drivers this AM but the production 1.9.4 version blending is just fine. I

I think you perhaps meant that it's fine in the retail 1.9.2 (not 1.9.4).

In any case, blend modes are fine for me in 1.10.0.1085, so perhaps  you could start a new topic here in the beta forum and provide more details, screenshots, sample documents, etc. there.

As Mark said above:

On 6/14/2021 at 6:27 AM, Mark Ingram said:

if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, slizgi said:

I'm getting more and more irritated with this issue to be honest

Whoa! They better speed up development then 🤣

Maybe its AMD problem. They had problems with Substance as well, supposedly fixed it in the last Adrenalin 21.6.2 driver. List of known issues as well is quite long. My friend has older AMD card, using Affinity just fine. Will it work? There's beta for a reason - download and check, report bug if you find any instead of being irritated...  🤭

28 minutes ago, nezumi said:

Maybe its AMD problem.

That's what Serif has said:

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, nezumi said:

Whoa! They better speed up development then 🤣

Maybe its AMD problem. They had problems with Substance as well, supposedly fixed it in the last Adrenalin 21.6.2 driver. List of known issues as well is quite long. My friend has older AMD card, using Affinity just fine. Will it work? There's beta for a reason - download and check, report bug if you find any instead of being irritated...  🤭

Ahh so funny...🤣😑
I know they had issues in Substance, I experience it, contacted with them and reported, got access to beta drivers, and it was fixed.

Even if it is AMD problem, I asked in another topics that Affinity checked that maybe it is fixed, no answer till now, so it might me fixed but without patch and unlock of the functionality nothing will change. And I bet Affinity as a company has a little more communication power with the company like AMD or does it?

And as far as I know, rest of the programs that use OpenCL works fine on gpu I have, except Photo. So sorry, but I'm 50/50 about whom to blame about this issue, and believe me I am complaining about this to AMD too. So maybe someone notices this, and they can do something about this. But yea, mr. defender in the shining armor.

@slizgiIf you don't want to be treated like that do not behave like some Karen with your "I'm getting more and more irritated with this issue ". Boo hoo.

Now, what is this thread about? BETA. Maybe its fixed, maybe its not - they gave you Beta to check it out. Why you are asking instead of checking out is beyond me. Check it - you will have your answer. Couldn't be simpler.

As mentioned above, i have disabled OpenCL Acceleration on my Lenovo Intel Machine and it works well. But i also found out, that on my PC with Nvidia 1050ti OpenCL  works slower than disabled. My projects loads 10x slower (1 second to 10) and also moving objects seems to be a bit slower. So i disabled OpenCL on my Nvidia device too.

Maybe this function needs more time to be final. Meanwhile i am happy without OpenCL (if it is not faster, i don´t need it). 

Note: maybe i do the wrong work in Affinity Photo, OpenCL may speed up image compositing which i don´t make (is there a article where i can see what is done better with OpenCL?).

Anyway: I am happy with Affinity Photo. I also had some Mac M1 devices here to tes because i thought i need to switch to MacOS but i decided to stay here on windows (i also need it for our game engine but for designs i had the idea to use a mac). And it also works not better than my current PC (i5 10400f, 1050ti) or my Lenovo Laptop. It runs well but not better, acceleration is enabled there and should work well. I was blended by the benchmarks ;) 

6 hours ago, nezumi said:

@slizgiIf you don't want to be treated like that do not behave like some Karen with your "I'm getting more and more irritated with this issue ". Boo hoo.

Now, what is this thread about? BETA. Maybe its fixed, maybe its not - they gave you Beta to check it out. Why you are asking instead of checking out is beyond me. Check it - you will have your answer. Couldn't be simpler.

Let me just I do not know, translate and divide in pieces what I wrote in my 1st post in this topic:

19 hours ago, slizgi said:

And still Hardware Acceleration in Photo (Win) with AMD Radeon 6XXX do not work.

It was a statement: I installed AP I installed the newest beta AMD drivers, I checked, and it does not work, but ok it is first beta, we will see how it goes.

Then I asked.

Will it work in full 1.10 release?

Simple question, do they have in plans to fix it with full 1.10 release, or leave it how it is now.
Then another statement:

I'm getting more and more irritated with this issue to be honest, it exists since couples of months.

And this is being Karen, right? So I should not complain? All is great, just shove it under the rug, and pretend all is great. Well, I paid for the software, there is a bug that exist for months, so sorry that I'm complaining about this.

I'm guessing if you buy a car and the turbine stop working, you go complain to the car manufacturer to go fix it, or the Chinese factory that produce the turbine? Even if at the end the Chinese company will fix it under pressure from car manufacture? Getting the analogy?

And yea there is an Affinity explanation it is a bug in AMD OpenCL driver, well AMD said, as far as I know it is an Affinity implementation problem, so go figure.

13 minutes ago, slizgi said:

well AMD said, as far as I know it is an Affinity implementation problem, so go figure.

Where did they say that?

-- Walt
PC:

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Where did they say that?

Maybe I should rephrase it.
The topics on their forums suggest that OpenCL work fine on the side. So yea It was to big extrapolation from my side, that THEY SAID that. From other hand, there is no clear statements in that topics on their side that this is not true. My Bad, I'm sorry I should write this in a better way. It still not mitigate the problem, why other programs do not have issues with OpenCL on these cards, but Photo.

[REDACTED] I'll simply wait until the final version of 1.10.X and test the performance oddities myself.

Edited by Ronald N. Tan
Edit to delete my post to indicate that I will wait until the final version of 1.10.X arrives to test the performance myself.

There's no need to argue or discuss the point of AMD support. We are in contact with AMD, who are being very responsive, and they are working on a fix. The issue is that their latest drivers have been re-written for the new architectures, and there's a problem with the OpenCL kernel compiler, as it's now 10X slower than it was before (this would translate to a hang when switching to a new tool for the first time for each app launch). I've provided them with test cases, and I'm in regular contact with their engineers about the problem.