You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when trying to add or delete pages

Hi everyone!
I am having the exact same issue. Crash to desktop when I try to delete, add, duplicate or move pages. I've packaged my file.@Gabe May I upload it somewhere for you to check?

I am running Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035.
Would you recommend to try the latest Beta version as garrettm30 suggested?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry I didn't notice the category and did not mention: 

I am using Affinity Publisher on Windows 10 not on MacOS. I tested it on two computers (both W10). Both have the same issues. Bug is reproduceable with my file.

On 6/12/2021 at 11:09 AM, Lars Lizard said:

Hi everyone!
I am having the exact same issue. Crash to desktop when I try to delete, add, duplicate or move pages. I've packaged my file.@Gabe May I upload it somewhere for you to check?

I am running Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035.
Would you recommend to try the latest Beta version as garrettm30 suggested?

Thanks for your help!

Hello again,
for anyone struggling with this problem, here's the cause in my case and the solution that worked for me.

Cause:
When starting the project I used a template file originally intended for InDesign. It had facing pages (spreads) with a single page in the beginning and one at the end.
The single page at the end seemed to cause the problem in my case.

Solution:
I was able to select and delete the last (single) page without a crash. Since then I can easily move, duplicate, insert and delete pages without any problems.

I hope this helpes. Cheers!

Hi @Gabe

I uploaded the file after clearing out most of the images. The issue seems to come from a non-existent master page that was assigned to the last page. After deleting the layer, everything works fine again. This was pointed out by thomaso in the other thread. I don't know what went wrong or how I managed to mess this up. 

Cheers, Lars

On 6/14/2021 at 11:02 AM, Gabe said:

I moved this to it's own separate thread as we like to keep project-related issues (even though they are similar) separate.

2 hours ago, Lars Lizard said:

This was pointed out by thomaso in the other thread.

@Gabe, I haven't noticed your younger copy of Lars' initial report when I replied in the Pre-1.9-forum's thread. – Now Lars referred to this post:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/108018-publisher-18-crashes-when-adding-pages/&do=findComment&comment=801995

Do you know how the layer with the name "(Master Page)" was created? It appears to become translated in a different app language and looks like an 'unnamed' master page layer – though this can't be done by users (also ID/.idml doesn't allow such master page name).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 6/19/2021 at 12:36 PM, Lars Lizard said:

Hi @Gabe

I uploaded the file after clearing out most of the images. The issue seems to come from a non-existent master page that was assigned to the last page. After deleting the layer, everything works fine again. This was pointed out by thomaso in the other thread. I don't know what went wrong or how I managed to mess this up. 

Cheers, Lars

Thank you, I was facing the same issue and removing the non-existing master page layer on the last page seems to have resolved the problem of continuous crashes.

18 hours ago, WalterW said:

I was facing the same issue and removing the non-existing master page layer on the last page seems to have resolved the problem of continuous crashes.

Thank your for this info. – Was your .afpub a converted .idlm document (as Lars Lizard's)? And do you remember if the erroneous layer on your last page (respectively the assigned, non-exisiting master page) also was named "(Master Page)"?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Thank your for this info. – Was your .afpub a converted .idlm document (as Lars Lizard's)? And do you remember if the erroneous layer on your last page (respectively the assigned, non-exisiting master page) also was named "(Master Page)"?

Hi, my file is a native affinity publisher document. I suspect the issue may have appeared after I opened the master page section and experimented with adding a new master page which I deleted. This may have created the problem. 

Perhaps a bug in publisher.