Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.10.0.1085

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes and Improvements
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Windows Store: Not Submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not Available

---

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.10.0.1085 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

Due to current and anticipated changes to help with performance issues this version is now 1.10.0 and replaces the previous 1.9.4 beta. All previous changes from 1.9.4 have been rolled into this beta.

As such, we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous / future versions of Affinity Designer.

---

Text
- Added Emoji support
- Improved Windows IME support for Chinese / Japanese text entry

Import / Export
- IDML Import - fixes for specific documents
- IDML Import - improved text style grouping and added import of keyboard shortcuts
- SVG Import - Parser improvements for whitespace handling
- SVG Export - Fix for export of stretched text when transforms are flattened
- RTF Import - Fixed specific crash if line breaks occurred in the vicinity of ligatures
- RTF Export - improved support for Unicode characters above 64k
- RTF Export - wasn't closing small caps correctly

Resources
- Improved performance of Resource Manager for documents containing of placed documents
- Placing an embedded document was incorrectly favouring any currently placed instance over the source file
- EPS files can now be 'Made Linked' in Resource Manager if the original source file is present

---

To be notified about all future Windows beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

On 6/14/2021 at 4:20 AM, AdamW said:

Text
- Added Emoji support

How is that used on Windows?

From the Publisher Beta on Mac discussion I see that on Mac there is Edit > Emoji & Symbols, but I don't see that in the current Windows beta of Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

image.png.d67766077e07c8187679a816d117ee1d.png

Definitely works in Beta 1.10.0.1085.  I then tried this in Publisher 1.9.2.1035 but it didn't work in that

Acer Aspire E51 AMD Radeon E1-7010 processor with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics, Windows 10 Home Version 20H2,  12GB RAM.  
Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035, Photo 1.9.2.1035, Publisher 1.9.2.1035 
Affinity Designer Beta 1.10.0.1085, Photo Beta 1.10.0.1085, Publisher  Beta 1.10.0.1085

Thanks, @PMan. That's useful to know, and will get me started.

Still curious where to find the Edit > Emojis & Symbols that the Mac version seems to have, though :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Oh no, we don't need Emoji's in Books. 
You are risking the IQ of the world shrinking because of this with your software here now. 
I can imagine books having Emojis as a standard and it will remind me of a facebook conversation in around 10 years time . 
The future just became more dangerous. 

I can give you a tip of rather giving us shortcut keys to different transformation commands of objects. 
It would make productivity a small boost when it comes to objects. 
Since you already boosted the performance to the moon by the direct x12 tech and other performance tech you have made. 

On 6/15/2021 at 11:55 PM, Desmild said:

The future just became more dangerous

You are aware that they've used something like "emoticons" in ancient Egypt (hieroglyphs), which partially also represented logographic elements? So, no. Emotions are not some new invention, it's rather a "back to the roots". 😉

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

I, like Walt, don't see any reference where the emoji can be accessed (other than what PMan kindly pointed out). Not in Help, not on the website... only 3rd party bitz. Perhaps in the "next" beta? 😶

edit: Must be in a text box, even Publisher 1085 works.... but uses Windows emoji and is separate from the application(?). 🤔 BUT - I have leaned something from this! Thanks PMan.

On 6/15/2021 at 4:09 PM, walt.farrell said:

From the Publisher Beta on Mac discussion I see that on Mac there is Edit > Emoji & Symbols, but I don't see that in the current Windows beta of Publisher.

windows key + ;

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

12 minutes ago, uneMule said:

windows key + ;

Depending on the keyboard layout. For a German QWERTZ keyboard it has to be Windows key + .

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

@Joachim_L

bonjour, c'est bon à savoir. Si je repasse par Düsseldorf pour la Drupa.

good morning, that's good to know. If I go back to Düsseldorf for the Drupa.

Guten Morgen, das ist gut zu wissen. Wenn ich zur Drupa wieder nach Düsseldorf fahre.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

4 hours ago, Andy05 said:

You are aware that they've used something like "emoticons" in ancient Egypt (hieroglyphs), which partially also represented logographic elements? So, no. Emotions are not some new invention, it's rather a "back to the roots". 😉

That is called pictographs and the oldest types of them are the Egyptian, Hebrew & Phoenic Alphabets.
They evolved into letters with time. 
Emojis can never do that :)

16 minutes ago, Desmild said:

Emojis can never do that :)

Well, you'll probably get proved wrong in another 3-4,000 years...

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

5 hours ago, Andy05 said:

Well, you'll probably get proved wrong in another 3-4,000 years...

Yeah now that Affinity added those to Publisher you never know. 
I guess we will write like this then:
"I Emojis think stupid books." 
It will be a interesting future ahead of us. 

But I have to say that Affinity has changed my life since my days are much better than the old days with Adobe.
So I might not like the Emojis part but its the first thing I have been directly against. 
All in all, Affinity is the way and I will always recommend them to people who wants to design. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.