You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Object can no longer be selected after rasterizing

Do the following:

1. Place an object (such as an image) in a document.
  2. Rasterize the corresponding layer.
  3. Click an empty space in the document to deselect it - grafik.png.030597fb7167ad74ee486303e2932f59.png.
  4. Click on the object to select it again.

Result: The object can no longer be selected.

It works correctly in the release version.

Interesting discovery, Michail.

I can confirm that I see the same behavior, with it failing in 1.9.4.1082 but working in 1.9.2.1035.

It fails with both Embedded and Linked image files in the beta.

Also, it will work again if you switch away from the Move Tool to a different tool, and then switch back to the Move Tool, as long as you don't click in the pasteboard again before clicking on the rasterized image.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I can't find a way to rasterize a layer in Publisher Beta persona. I can select an object in a layer, right click on it and rasterize the object, but right-clicking on a layer gives no option to rasterize the layer and the option in the Layers menu is greyed out too.  There is also nothing in the Help file to tell me how to rasterize a layer, (although I can rasterize  a layer by going into Photo persona, rasterizing the layer and then returning to Publisher persona).

However, I  find that if you rasterize an object on a layer, and try to select the object using the Move tool, then the object cannot be selected unless I first select (activate) the layer that the object is in using the Layers tab.  Secondly if I rasterize several objects on a single layer, then to select an object I have to first activate the layer by selecting it in the Layers tab then click on it with Move tool. 
The selection of each rasterized object in turn on a single layer has to be preceded by selecting the layer first and then the required object, (although you can simply select each object in turn from the Layers menu without using the Move tool to select)

Acer Aspire E51 AMD Radeon E1-7010 processor with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics, Windows 10 Home Version 20H2,  12GB RAM.  
Affinity Designer 1.9.2, Photo 1.9.2, Publisher 1.9.2 
Affinity Designer Beta 1.9.4.1065, Photo Beta 1.9.4.1079, Publisher  Beta 1.9.4.1082

Congrats to Serif for once again producing updates.  Have just downloaded Publisher beta 1.10.0.1085 and just to save others trying out , the problem of selection of rasterized objects is still present in this Beta. Not surprising since the problem was logged AFTER the new download was available, but I'm sure development team will be working on a solution. As I noted earlier, the workaround is to select the object from the Layers tab and not by using the Move tool.

Acer Aspire E51 AMD Radeon E1-7010 processor with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics, Windows 10 Home Version 20H2,  12GB RAM.  
Affinity Designer 1.9.2, Photo 1.9.2, Publisher 1.9.2 
Affinity Designer Beta 1.10.0.1085, Photo Beta 1.10.0.1085, Publisher  Beta 1.10.0.1085

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.