You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Plugin won't launch

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @PGPhoto.

I know that the Nik collection does not work on the M1 chips in native mode. So to use those plugins successfully you would need to configure Affinity Photo to run under Rosetta. You should find an Affinity Photo Preference, in the General section, to do that.

Possibly they work in Capture One Pro because Capture One Pro doesn't have native Mac M1 compatibility?

And possibly this applies to the Topaz plugins, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello @Arjan, and welcome to the forums.

What operating system are you using? What version of Affinity Photo are you using. Have you read the thread about installing Nik Collection 4?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Just now, John Rostron said:

What operating system are you using? What version of Affinity Photo are you using. Have you read the thread about installig Nik Collection 4?

John

3 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

What operating system are you using? What version of Affinity Photo are you using. Have you read the thread about installig Nik Collection 4?

John

Hi John, thanks for jou'r reaction. I didn't had the tread so I first will give it a try. I'll let you know ;-)

I have the same problem. Missing specially Topaz Denoise AI (v 3.1.2). On Mac that wont launch. Afai could read into it, this problem concerns Mac users of Affinity Photo only.

Dear Developers @developer: please make all those plugins also running under MacOS.

Or at least figure out a workaround for us.

I couldn't find a working one for Mac in the forums.

FYC: Topaz Labs do not comply to standard MacOS or OSX installation procedures. I am working of course on an account having no admin rights and it is not possible to install the Topaz tools by entering the username of an admin (and its password) like installation processes complying to Mac standards do (this dialog box asking for a user having admin rights does not pop up, I am pretty sure you get it).

So, the installation goes into my standard user home (text continues below image):

2021-06-22_10-17-47.png.551258011becc1de34190f76ab14a1a8.png

However: this does not affect the Adobe products and even though installing as standard user instead of a user having admin rights into /Applications the plugins work fine in all Adobe software.

But I can't use them in Affinity Photo, what is super disappointing and annoying. 

Cheers,
Roland

CC @MEB @Chris B, please don't get me wrong, I prefer to work with Affinity Software, that hurts double not being able to use the plugins.

On 6/12/2021 at 4:58 PM, PGPhoto said:

Topaz and nik collection plugins appear in the filters menu but will not launch.

Plugin launch no problem with Capture one pro.

Using Mac mini M1 2020 with Affinity Photo 1.9.3

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

Hi MEB

I originated this topic.  I am using the M1.  If using Affinity with Rosetta the plugins work.  But that defeats the purpose of having an M1.  Other software like Capture One when using M1 have no issues with the same plugins working.

This appears to be an Affinity Photo issue with M1 not the plugins as they work with other software using M1.

• Staff

That's interesting. Where have you bought Affinity Photo? Mac App Store or Affinity Store?
Yes the app should be faster when running natively, the point is if it slows you down to the point where it's preferable not using the plugins at all due to the reduced performance - does it affect you noticeably on daily work if you run it through Rosetta?
Unfortunately I still hadn't chance to get my hands on an M1 machine.

I bought my software from the Affinity Store.  The decrease in performance is significant and makes working through Rosetta is not a valid option.   At present when I need to use a plugin I use a different software than Affinity Photo.  This is not a very efficient way to work.

Are the plugins updated for the M1 macs?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi @MEB thanks for getting back. I am on an Intel based MBP16 2019, 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB.

The plugin is detected, I can click on it, an entry in the history is made, but no Topaz Denoise AI 3.1.2 is started.

It would help, if you can post the workflow how you could make it running.

Please consider my Topaz apps are in "/Users/{myusername}/Applications/Topaz Labs LLC" and not in "/Applications/Topaz Labs LLC" because I work with a user account having no admin rights and the Topaz installation procedure does not comply to MacOS standards; the pop up dialog to enter username and password of my user with admin rights does not show up.

On 6/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, MEB said:

Hi @Roland Rick,
I'm using the latest version of Topaz DeNoise myself and have no issues however I'm running it on an Intel based Mac. Are you using one of the new M1 Macs? If so, are you running Affinity Photo with Rosetta enabled?

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

• 1 month later...

@MEB, nope, I am on Intel MBP

2021-08-21_11-02-24.jpg.98b8b99b9ba3fa78ef10e828074ee22e.jpg

On 6/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, MEB said:

Hi @Roland Rick,
I'm using the latest version of Topaz DeNoise myself and have no issues however I'm running it on an Intel based Mac. Are you using one of the new M1 Macs? If so, are you running Affinity Photo with Rosetta enabled?

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

• Staff

Hi @Roland Rick,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. I've saw you have created another thread but i will reply here as i was following this topic. I believe you were never able to run Topaz Denoise before and the reason for this is because you are trying to invoke it from the Mac App Store version of Affinity Photo which must run in a sandboxed environment (imposed to all Mac apps sold there). This plugin doesn't work on a sandboxed environment and unfortunately as far as i know (from dev) there isn't much we can do to fix this. Have you tried to contact Topaz about this issue?

Hi @MEB, totally Ok to reply here.

Wouldn't it make more sense, your developers contact Topaz directly?

If there are some questions to discuss, I'm only the "water carrier" (as we say in German) between two parties which could solve a things 1000x much more efficient by talking directly together.

It makes no sense me doing this, and the risk of forwarding false information (in both directions) is far too high.

Do I understand your reply correct, no plugin ever will run on any software installed by AppStore, is that like so?

That automatically leads to the next question: Can I exchange my Mac Affinity (I have all of them, Photo, Designer, Publisher) Software to a Serif Homepage downloadable version? Afai get it, that should solve the problem.

23 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @Roland Rick,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. I've saw you have created another thread but i will reply here as i was following this topic. I believe you was never able to run Topaz Denoise before and the reason for this is because you are trying to invoke it from the Mac App Store version of Affinity Photo which must run in a sandboxed environment (imposed to all Mac apps sold there). This plugin doesn't work on a sandboxed environment and unfortunately as far as i know (from dev) there isn't much we can do to fix this. Have you tried to contact Topaz about this issue?

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

• Staff

Hi @Roland Rick,

1. We do contact plugin developers when required to try to fix issues we believe we can do something about but not all fixes depend on us. It's also useful when users/customers contact plugin developers themselves to let them know about the issues they are experiencing even if for no other reason other than start the ball rolling/getting things moving. The more the users show interest in using their plugins/try to solve the issues they are experiencing with other host apps the more likely the plugin developers will do something about it too. You don't have to worry (nor should) about any technical details regarding the issue - just saying the plugin doesn't run in the Mac App Store version of the host application (Affinity Photo) but runs fine in the regular version sold through our website should be enough.

I've made some more testing and curiously Topaz Studio 2 do run fine in the Mac App Store version of Affinity Photo as a plugin - with one caveat. I was going to suggest to use it to invoke the rest of the Topaz plugins but they appear greyed out in Topaz Studio itself when running as a plugin inside Affinity Photo. There's definitely something blocking the access to the plugins. I will try to contact Topaz to see if we can get this sorted out in some way. I see no reason why they can't work on the MAS version as well.

2. No, I should have been more clear sorry. I said Topaz plugins (currently) do not run on a sandboxed environment in Affinity Photo. There's other plugins that do run fine. Since Topaz does work in the Affinity Store version there's possibly some issue loading/acessing some config/setting file somewhere i suppose. There's an option in the Affinity Photo Preferences, Photoshop section to allow Affinity Photo full/root access but even with it enabled the plugin doesn't start/run.

3. I'm afraid here's no way to exchange licenses, sorry. The Mac App Store and Affinity Store are independent from each other and managed by different entities. We don't have any system in place to provide such service. Overall, theoretically both apps should perform the same way - the issues with the plugins are most likely related with some problem with the environment the app must run in rather than with the application itself (as the exact same plugin-ins/files run fine in the non-MAS version).

OK, thanks for reply. I truly hope one day will there be a solution.

7 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @Roland Rick,

1. We do contact plugin developers when required to try to fix issues we believe we can do something about but not all fixes depend on us. It's also useful when users/customers contact plugin developers themselves to let them know about the issues they are experiencing even if for no other reason other than start the ball rolling/getting things moving. The more the users show interest in using their plugins/try to solve the issues they are experiencing with other host apps the more likely the plugin developers will do something about it too. You don't have to worry (nor should) about any technical details regarding the issue - just saying the plugin doesn't run in the Mac App Store version of the host application (Affinity Photo) but runs fine in the regular version sold through our website should be enough.

I've made some more testing and curiously Topaz Studio 2 do run fine in the Mac App Store version of Affinity Photo as a plugin - with one caveat. I was going to suggest to use it to invoke the rest of the Topaz plugins but they appear greyed out in Topaz Studio itself when running as a plugin inside Affinity Photo. There's definitely something blocking the access to the plugins. I will try to contact Topaz to see if we can get this sorted out in some way. I see no reason why they can't work on the MAS version as well.

2. No, I should have been more clear sorry. I said Topaz plugins (currently) do not run on a sandboxed environment in Affinity Photo. There's other plugins that do run fine. Since Topaz does work in the Affinity Store version there's possibly some issue loading/acessing some config/setting file somewhere i suppose. There's an option in the Affinity Photo Preferences, Photoshop section to allow Affinity Photo full/root access but even with it enabled the plugin doesn't start/run.

3. I'm afraid here's no way to exchange licenses, sorry. The Mac App Store and Affinity Store are independent from each other and managed by different entities. We don't have any system in place to provide such service. Overall, theoretically both apps should perform the same way - the issues with the plugins are most likely related with some problem with the environment the app must run in rather than with the application itself (as the exact same plugin-ins/files run fine in the non-MAS version).

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

Hi @MEB, many thanks for your reply. Well, thanks in advance for contacting Topaz, I am already very curious what's their reply.

FYC: Luminar e.g. has a special menu entry to install/reinstall the plugins into Photoshop and puts it into (text continues below image, btw: is there a possibility to resize the images in this forum editor?) this folder...

2021-08-31_12-00-59.png.1aa5c8980db9d9fc1588cb22fe647783.png

…I restarted, it's there but it also does no longer start that plugin.

I also have the Nik 4 collection, but I couldn't figure out where its plugins are installed to. Couldn't find any plugin folder for Nik 4.

Once this has been working afai can remember, so the Topaz ones. Both now don't. Is that problem possibly caused by MacOS Big Sur or Catalina? Not sure, but I think that problems started with Catalina or even Mojave, but to be honest, I can't remember and I am also no longer able to figure it out, because I updated all my Macs to Big Sur.

I hope with the lines above I could help a tiny little bit to find the cause of the problem.

Thanks for all our help,
Roland

On 8/26/2021 at 3:33 PM, MEB said:

Hi @Roland Rick,

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

• Staff

Hi @Roland Rick,
I will let you know if/when i receive a reply from them.
I have Luminar 4 and Ai here but never tested them with Affinity Photo. Make sure you give Affinity Photo root access: click the Authorise Global button once in Affinity Photo, Photoshop Preferences section, then press the Authorise button again in the Finder window that will open next - you should see a forward slash in the first line in the Plugin Supports Folder section. Remove all the others you may have added there since they are not required if you give Affinity Photo root access). Also make sure you have Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used ticked. In any case i will install and check them myself too.
Regarding Nik Collection, i don't have the latest version (didn't updated to 4 yet) but i know that some Nik Collection 3 plugins do work with Affinity Photo MAS version (Viveza however crashes consistently in the MAS). I don't mind updating mine to check this also.

Meanwhile DxO have installation instructions specifically for Affinity Photo here (scroll down up to the Installing Serif Affinity Photo* section) that may help you out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 8:17 AM, MEB said:

Hi @Roland Rick,
I will let you know if/when i receive a reply from them.
I have Luminar 4 and Ai here but never tested them with Affinity Photo. Make sure you give Affinity Photo root access: click the Authorise Global button once in Affinity Photo, Photoshop Preferences section, then press the Authorise button again in the Finder window that will open next - you should see a forward slash in the first line in the Plugin Supports Folder section. Remove all the others you may have added there since they are not required if you give Affinity Photo root access). Also make sure you have Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used ticked. In any case i will install and check them myself too.
Regarding Nik Collection, i don't have the latest version (didn't updated to 4 yet) but i know that some Nik Collection 3 plugins do work with Affinity Photo MAS version (Viveza however crashes consistently in the MAS). I don't mind updating mine to check this also.

Meanwhile DxO have installation instructions specifically for Affinity Photo here (scroll down up to the Installing Serif Affinity Photo* section) that may help you out.

My "Authorize Global" button is grayed out. I'm running an M1 Mac Mini.

• Staff

Hi @dcrosby,
If it's greyed out it's because it's already set/activated. If you are running a M1 Mac Mini, right click the Affinity Photo app icon in the Applications folder and select Open using Rosetta. The OS may ask you to install a few files,  go ahead and accept, launch Affinity Photo the plugins should run/work.

Yes this is a work around. But computer runs much slower and defeats the purpose of using a M1. Hoping that Serif is  working on a fix. Affinity Photo works extremely well on the M1 except for this issue. Not an expert on software but considering that I can open these plugins  using other editing software when operating in M1 does this indicate that the problem is with AF Photo and not the plug in?