You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.10.0.244)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, improvements and fixes.

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download ZIP: Download

Auto-update: Available

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the first build of Affinity Photo 1.10.0 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.9.3 version recently released to all customers (although it still installs parallel to the released version, as described above). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

The changes in the 1.9.4 betas have been rolled into 1.10.

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes Since Previous Beta

- Added support for emoji 😃👌😻.
- Added the ability to load ACM lens profiles.
- Assorted improvements to astro stacking, including the ability to edit the names of stacked images and the ability to stack images for different filters simultaneously. 
- Fixed issues opening some DNG files.
- Assorted other small fixes.
- Localisation improvements.
- Help improvements.

Changes Since 1.9.3

- Serif Labs RAW engine improvements.
- Assorted astro stacking improvements and fixes.
- Fixed Nikon D780 Raw loading when using Serif Labs engine.
- Attempted fix for occasional flickering of rendered document.
- Fixed crash when deleting a procedural texture constant while the cursor is still in the description text field.
- Fixed erratic behaviour with placed images.
- Fixed missing controls when procedural texture dialog is in non-English.
- Fixed crash when macro recording selected layer change in Japanese UI.
- Fixed lockups when loading certain PSD documents with smart objects enabled.
- Added the ability to open FITS files directly, with control over demosaicing.

- Performance and memory usage improvements when using placed images.
- Performance and memory usage improvements when using embedded documents.
- PDF import and export improvements.
- Significant performance improvements in low memory situations.

- Fixed small visual issues when switching back to templates from presets in the new document panel.
- Fixed gradient map adjustment rendering issues.
- Fixed expression input issues with decimal separators other than ".".
- Fixed issue whereby ISO speed was incorrectly reported for some images.

- Help improvements.

- Added support for Xtrans sensor images in astro stacking.
- Added GPU acceleration for blending ranges (in Advanced Blending).
- Further, significant, performance improvements for documents with many layers.
- Significant performance improvements when converting documents between ICC profiles / pixel formats.

- Fixed performance issues with previous build with certain GPUs.
- Fixed spare channel / mask editing.

- Assorted metadata panel tweaks.
- Further panorama stitching performance tweaks.

- Added a new "median" mode to the frequency separation filter.
- The gradient map adjustment now has a GPU implementation.

- Restored the GPU rendering improvements which were dropped towards the end of the 1.9.2 beta. The benchmark version is once again set to 1920.
- Improve performance when manipulating the selected layer immediately after loading a document.
- Significant performance improvements in low-memory situations, reducing use of the swap file.
- Panorama stitching performance improvements.
- Significant performance improvements for documents which contain flattened, opaque layers (usually the result of merge visible).
- Render EXIF exposure time as decimal if above 1.

- Fixed F-number always showing as "f/0" for Leica M-series cameras (and others).
- Fixed issue whereby LUTs would incorrectly report "Identity" as the description.
- Fixed potential crash when quitting with layers still on the clipboard.
- Fixed performance issues with CMYK documents when GPU acceleration is enabled.

- Assorted small fixes.
- Localisation improvements.

5 minutes ago, Nicole Hurst said:

Does version 1.9 becoming 1.1 imply that Affinity 2.0 is a ways off? 

It didn't become 1.1. It became 1.10 (ten, not one).

Serif has said for some time that we might see a sequence like 1.8, 1.9, 1.10, 1.11, 1.12, etc.

For example:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

It was a bit surprising to see a 1.10 beta before seeing 1.9.4 released, though :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Also Photo doesn't seem to have a ton of major bugs on my end so they might as well start adding features while software like Publisher keeps squashing bugs. The only major bug I have is that the Affinity Photos extension in the Apple Photos is still as broken as ever. I see this as being half Apple's fault. The two companies should be working together to fix that.

1 hour ago, KipV said:

Apple has had multiple versions of their beta products being developed at the same time recently. When MacOS 11.4 was a RC they were already onto the 11.5 beta.

But, with Serif 1.10 comes in the place of 1.9.4, whereas with Apple both 11.4 and 11.5 are/will be released.

The change in numbering from 1.9.4 to 1.10 could imply some bigger changes than originally anticipated by the developers.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

I have to wonder if Publisher won't continue with 1.9.x numbering scheme given that it is the one app that really has it's share of glitches yet to be fixed. I can't imagine them waiting until the next feature update of that product before issuing more bug fixes to the stable product. I also wonder if 1.10 will be as big of a feature release as 1.9 or if it will be something in between a smaller bug release and something like 1.9?

Edited by KipV
I thought of something else to pounder.

9 hours ago, Andy Somerfield said:

- Added support for emoji 😃👌😻.

Please see

Same problem here in photo.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 6/12/2021 at 2:48 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

- Assorted other small fixes.

Damn - just did a test to see if the clipboard has been fixed yet ------ Nope still RGB only

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 6/12/2021 at 5:11 PM, KipV said:

I have to wonder if Publisher won't continue with 1.9.x numbering scheme given that it is the one app that really has it's share of glitches yet to be fixed. I can't imagine them waiting until the next feature update of that product before issuing more bug fixes to the stable product.

For the moment, I kind of doubt it, but I do hope 1.9.4 gets a release. If we are just starting the 1.10 cycle, then it might be months before it is finally released. For me, this means I am stuck on beta 1.9.4 until 1.10 is finally the recommended version. I commented about that over here:

By they way, the current recommendation by Serif is to use 1.10 beta for Photo, but not for Publisher. Won't that cause some issues if we were to follow that recommendation?

Photo beta 1.10 (this thread):

"We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

Publisher beta 1.10:

"As such, we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous / future versions of Affinity Designer."

Designer beta 1.10:

"As such, we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous / future versions of Affinity Designer."

4 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

If we are just starting the 1.10 cycle, then it might be months before it is finally released.

Usually it takes them close to a year to put out a major feature product update and we are currently 4 months past 1.9 getting released. Publisher isn't going to go another 8 months before they put out multiple service releases. I don't think 1.10 would make sense for a release that is purely a bug fix release. Unless 1.10 ends up being a very minor feature update or is all about maintenance updates like 1.6. A lot of tech goes with "tick-tock-tick" release cycles alternating between major and minor updates. If 1.10 is a smaller release between major ones that would be fine by me.

On 6/12/2021 at 2:44 PM, KipV said:

The only major bug I have is that the Affinity Photos extension in the Apple Photos is still as broken as ever. I see this as being half Apple's fault. The two companies should be working together to fix that.

I agree it is very disappointing that Affinity has not fixed this, it’s been broken for ages but I’m not sure I’d agree that Apple shares a responsibility to fix it. Other extensions (eg On1 Photo Raw) work fine with Photos as do the Affinity extensions other than Edit in and Develop. The onus should be on Affinity, not Apple, to get the Affinity extension to work with Apple Photos.

What also seems unusual is the almost total lack of interaction between Affinity and users on this ….. all we get are bland comments to the effect that they are aware of this and are working on it. We don’t even see it mentioned in betas. Frankly, I don’t think this is a high priority for Affinity as it only affects some users, not all, and presumably is not having a major impact on sales. That may seem cynical but having owned Affinity for 18 months and seeing no progress ……

20 hours ago, rhmb said:

I agree it is very disappointing that Affinity has not fixed this, it’s been broken for ages but I’m not sure I’d agree that Apple shares a responsibility to fix it.

Affinity Photo on Mac is a stable product the only major bug for me is with extensions. The whole point of Apple's Photo app was to leave the more advanced features up to the 3rd party development and I find that component of the app still lacking. Other then Affinity being broken it takes far too many clicks to get in and out of 3rd party editing tools. I think most people where think that Photos could eventually work as a good replacement for Aperture that was released so long ago. I think you should expect more from Apple because I think Serif has been doing a much more solid job in the pro Photo area then Apple as of late.

20 hours ago, rhmb said:

Frankly, I don’t think this is a high priority for Affinity as it only affects some users, not all, and presumably is not having a major impact on sales.

The rest of the tool works very well so I'm sure that is why is sells so good.

9 hours ago, KipV said:

I think you should expect more from Apple

I agree. Apple can and should do better with its Photos app. Aperture proved it could be done but we know where that went. After Aperture, I moved on to Lightroom. And then came Catalina so au revoir LR 6.14.  That led to a short lived attempt to use Apple Photos supported by Affinity and the Nik collection. For a number of reasons, including but by no means limited to the sometimes awkward interface between Affinity and Apple Photos, that didn’t work out for me. Enter On1 Photo Raw. It’s not perfect, none of them are, but it covers most of what I used to do with Lightroom and Photoshop Elements combined (and much of what I could do with Affinity and the Nik Collection).

On1 Photo Raw extension works like a charm with Apple Photos. The $2 External Editors app, which dates from High Sierra times, works well with Apple Photos (I use it to open the Nik apps in Apple Photos). Four of Affinity's six extensions work well with Apple Photos (I can't speak to Develop as I have not used it). The Edit in Affinity extension does not, at least not reliably so for some of us. Does Apple share some responsibility to fix this broken app?

I still have Affinity installed and hope that one day Affinity and Apple find harmony and happiness together ….

I switched to Capture One Pro I have been happy with the last two years of that. It's really caught up with nearly all the best features of Lightroom and I think is currently the best tool that does both cataloging and editing. Apple Photos extensions was an interesting idea but still think it's way behind Capture One. Also it will be on iPad now too.

I currently have Capture One, DxO PhotoLab and On1 Photo RAW.  I had been using On1 primarily for my catalog and DxO for the more "difficult" RAW developments and those I felt would most benefit from it, mainly due to the better performance On1 had to offer at that point, but then DxO largely caught up in performance well enough that I wasn't using On1 as much, then I got Capture One, and it is my go-to at the moment.

All three of those products can integrate well with Affinity Photo if you enable the option in preferences within Affinity Photo to save over PSD files when opened.  Use the "Open in other app" feature (however it is labeled) in any of those three products to develop the RAW photos and have it save them as PSDs then open those in Affinity Photo.  That keeps the photos in the catalog/session/directory and thus organized along with your other photos while letting you do the more advanced editing in Affinity Photo.

That is my basic workflow whichever of On1, PhotoLab or Capture One I happen to be working in: I do the organization, RAW development and basic adjustments using that software, then when I need something more advanced I open it in Affinity Photo to edit it more directly.

No argument that Affinity works well with On1, Capture One and the like. Affinity is a good product. Which makes it all the more surprising and frustrating that the Edit in Affinity extension to Apple Photos has such a long standing history of error messages and unsaved edits. If it don’t work fix it and if it can’t be fixed ….. 

It seems something is wrong with the selection in 1.10. Or it maybe I missed a setting. Check this test file.

In 1.9, If the upper layer is selected and I click on the dot, the lower layer gets selected. In 1.10 this does not (always) work. The upper layer is treated as a complete fill.  It seems it is impossible to select 'through' upper layers.

Selection Bug.afphoto

6 hours ago, ZufDraw said:

It seems something is wrong with the selection in 1.10. Or it maybe I missed a setting. Check this test file.

I am guessing we are seeing the same thing. I can select the dot but it involves a lot of clicking and then once I have selected it I can no longer select the bent line. Drag select works fine though.

In Photo 1.9.3 all works fine.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Thanks @ZufDraw we have replicated this and reported it to the developers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.