Since 1.) the Bug Report Section is closed, 2.) I can find no explanation for this, and 3.) the search tools do not seem to work well for finding information on the site, I am reporting this very annoying bug without knowing if it is already known, being worked on, being ignored, etc.:

Transform position data sometimes messed up on flipped/rotated items (grouped and ungrouped) makes it very hard to position duplicated items with accuracy.

Using Affinity Designer 1.3.5

on core i7 iMac running 10.8.5

After an items is flipped, the position information in the transform panel sometimes gets messed up. With rotation the axis of the item sometimes appears to get rotated with the object (!??) which is annoying since the position information in the translation panel becomes largely useless (left is right, up is down, etc.) While a problem in itself, it can often be noticed and understood as the transform panel indicates the item has been rotated.

When an item is flipped, however, the axes are again sometimes flipped with the object (!??) This again makes the position information in the transform panel largely useless in positioning objects because again, left is right etc. More annoying however, there is no indication of the transform so one "just has to know" the position data is screwed up and useless.

I have tried to replicate this, but have no sure way to do it. It seems to be arbitrary and non-standard behavior but may be related to multiple duplication and/or transformation/flipping (I'm creating parts duplicating them, and using them in another part of the drawing. Is this a known problem, file corruption or what?

If I am missing something with the software, please let me know.

PS why is bug reporting closed? How should bugs be reported?

The Bugs subforum isn't closed; I've moved your post to it. (It does have a closed subforum, for resolved issues.)

That’s the second time I’ve seen someone misunderstand this (and now that I think about it I remember myself being slightly confused for a moment when I was very new here). You might wanna rename that sub forum to “Closed/resolved bugs”.

Thanks Dave (and Stephan.)

The problem was being new to the forum (and the web software) I didn't realize I had to click the bold text to open a link. On most sites I've used you can click anywhere in the section to go there or if the text is the link its much larger and colored or highlighted in some way.

Hi JPWatkins

I've reported your issue to the developers. Whilst the X and Y values are correct, the square graphic with the nodes does not update correctly which leads to some confusion

You sometimes see a rotation value as the position of the flipped object is the same as rotating the non-flipped version (eg flipping horizontally, then vertically is the same as rotating the shape 180 degrees)

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thanks "The Assurer,"

But you should know that no, the x and y values are not correct (that's the problem,) they are reversed etc. as described above.

"Saving as" seems to correct the problem (but not just just "saving,") but the whole thing is intermittent (the hardest kind of bug to kill) it's hard for me to say how things get in this state or what gets rid of it.

Thanks,

John

This bug drives me absolutely bananas. I beg of you to fix this in the next release, Affinity team.

P.S. I searched Google for "Affinity Designer support" as a shortcut, so that I could report this very bug, and the first result on Google was the bug itself...