You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select pixels of text as selection, then invert selection

I'm in Designer.  I've used the text tool to create some text.  I'd like to select the pixels of the created text to create a selection, after which I'd like to invert the selection.  In other, non-text type layers I can hold down ⌘(command) and click the given layer's icon in the Layers menu to select all its pixels, then ⇧⌘i to invert the selection.  However, this doesn't appear to work in a text layers.  

How can I select the pixels of text layer?

It's the same as for the other layers. Press ⌘ (cmd) and click on the text layer's thumbnail in the Layers panel. 

Thanks.  You are very correct, and I'm embarrassed that I overlooked this.  The text pixel I selected were so small that I failed to notice the visual feedback that there was a selection.

Thanks again!

• Staff

Hi jmac,

No, @tele-pet wants to create a pixel selection from a text object. If you look at OP's first post he describes how to do it for other types of layers but states he can't do it for text objects (which actually works the same way as for other layers). So pressing and holding ⌘ (cmd) and clicking on the text layer's thumbnail in the Layers panel will create a pixel selection from the text, which can then be inverted pressing ⇧ (shift) + ⌘ (cmd) + I.

There's no need to convert the text to curves first if you want to get a pixel selection from the letters. You can do it directly from the editable text as i described above.