You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Astro Stack Crashes App 1.9.2 on Windows

I have been trying to get astro stacking to work. The crash happens at different steps in the process. I have not been able to identify a consistent crash sequence. So, here are steps that I've done that have led to a crash (multiple examples). Specs: windows 10 version 1.9.2.1035. Also, when I say crash, I mean the app literally crashes and is no longer running. When I open affinity photo again, there is no partially saved document (if that's a feature for the astro stack, which I am not sure of) to restore.

First 4 crashes:

1. New astro stack
  2. Add Files for Lights. I selected 15 .arw (sony raw) image files. (These opened and appeared fine, except they were shot vertically and were displayed horizontally--in case that matters).
  3. Add Files for Dark: I select 1 dark file, upon confirming my file selection the app crashed.

Next Few Crashes:

3. I was able to complete the selecting of a Dark file.

4. I press Stack and almost immediately crashes--I do not believe a progress bar had time to pop up.

Next crash:

1. New astro stack
  2. Add Files for Lights. I selected 5 .arw files.
  3. I selected the Dark file
  4. I press stack (it works this time)
  5. I press apply.
  6. I'm taken to the photo persona with 1 image pixel layer and 2 adjustment layers. I toggle the adjustment layers to see how they affect the image. AND IT CRASHES.

I REBOOT MY MACHINE.

Next Crash:

1. New astro stack
  2. Add Files for Lights. I selected 5 .arw files.
  3. I selected the Dark file and it crashes

Next 2 crashes:

1. New astro stack
  2. Add Files for Lights. I selected 2 .arw files.
  3. I try to click on each image to ensure it's loaded. When I click on the second image IT CRASHES.

So, I have not been able to successfully use this feature, which I was looking forward to. It seems many suffer this same problem. I am posting in hopes my "crash reports" can help.

dark.ARW light-2.ARW light-1.ARW

Edited by stupac62
clarify astro stack always crashes

• Staff

Hey stupac62,

Thank you for the superb bug report. I've tried this in the beta and I've had more success than retail. We've had a few improvements over the retail version in the beta. If you get chance, I'd recommend grabbing it as this is clearly affecting your workflow.

I only ran through this once - do I need to repeat to try and reproduce or are you confident this happens each time in the retail version?

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

I only ran through this once - do I need to repeat to try and reproduce or are you confident this happens each time in the retail version?

It crashed every time for me using retail version. I'll try to figure out how to get a beta version. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...