You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Informal design workshop idea

I got the impression that the colours in Alfred's palette illustration were brighter than those of the horizontal bars in my artwork.

I wondered if this was a similar effect to the way that bold type in print looks darker than regular type because there is more ink though the ink is the same colour.

So I expanded the illustration. In passing,I found that the glyphs had a border, so I removed the border.

I produced a 300 dots per inch jpg file. I am attaching it here, though the forum does not show it full size. The file has 300dpi_bucolic_art7.jpg as the file name. The artwork includes a 3 milimetre wide bleed area at each edge.

300dpi_bucolic_art7.thumb.jpg.1aff60cb04d803977b8d05351b38faa6.jpg

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

I got the impression that the colours in Alfred's palette illustration were brighter than those of the horizontal bars in my artwork.

I think you’re just seeing the effect of greater contrast with the background.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have now placed an order for the card.

For the greeting within the card I transcribed the English localization of the text in 14 point Garamond, centred; together with, over three lines, centred, an explanation, namely

English localization of a poem displayed using

language-independent glyphs, 

each representing a whole sentence

together with my name and the date June 2021 , also centred, using two lines, all using 12 point Garamond.

I already have a frame to use.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

29 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Methinks you may need to buy some more frames soon!

Fortunately I have five of these already, not yet used, because they are not currently available, and the silver version is not offered round here.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/251929289

I keep a look out for them as they are in the My Favourites list.

They are intended as certificate frames, so maybe they will reappear sometime.

Most of the other cards that I have produced are in that type of frame, either landscape orientation or portrait orientation according to the orientation of the card.

Cranes before a Gibbous Moon is in one of the following.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/303403819

I would buy more of those frames if they were available, as they are good.

The Gallery font and the second copy of Software Unicorns reflected in a Lake each use one of the following, used in landscape orientation..

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/303403803

Those two prints are both displayed on a wall in my home.

Readers who so choose can find details of the cards mentioned in this post in the following thread.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/138654-artwork-for-greetings-cards/

William

Wow! I have just looked at my emails and there is an email timed at 15:57 that the card is on its way!

The email acknowledging the order is timed at 11:09, and it was received promptly after I placed the order.

William

• 2 weeks later...

Since I had time, I collected somme doodles and colorized them.

I wasn't fond of those colors, so I used a trick like printing a color on another one, to get more tints (usually printing a darker color on another one). Usually, the real printed colors are slighty different than the document, but it give more possibilities.

Pantone_bucoliques7c.thumb.jpg.93a95c0d9af2b981ad323fcc4bc82ffe.jpg

• 8 months later...

I was looking through my framed prints and I found the framed print of the artwork that I designed that is shown in this thread.

I remembered that it was a poem but I did not remember its text.

So,  I wondered if I could read it, localizing into English as I proceeded, without looking at a list of glyphs such as the following.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/locse027.pdf

I found that I could. It was an interesting and delightful experience to read the symbols and understand the poem.

William