You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very slow brush work

I am completely desperate.
I have complete horror with raster brushes in Affinity Photo.
Brush preview is very slow and brush painting takes a very long delay.
However, problems only with the Intensity brush. A round brush works lag-free at any size.
Disabling brush preview in settings does not solve the problem.

Second problem. The Accumulation brush option works like Flow. Although previously the Accumulation option worked like Opacity.

It is absolutely impossible to work!

20 hours ago, AsFrog said:

Second problem. The Accumulation brush option works like Flow. Although previously the Accumulation option worked like Opacity.

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Painting/pixel_modify.html?title=Modifying brushes

The Accumulation controls the Deviation in the opacity of the brush stroke as it is painted.

The Flow controls How fast color is built up under your brush

Sorry I don't have any answer for your brush lag problems.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

8 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Painting/pixel_modify.html?title=Modifying brushes

The Accumulation controls the Deviation in the opacity of the brush stroke as it is painted.

The Flow controls How fast color is built up under your brush

Sorry I don't have any answer for your brush lag problems.

No, in version 1.8 Accumulation worked like Opacity. And in version 1.9 Accumulation works like Flow. I tested this in version 1.8.

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

Did the lag start happening in 1.9? If so, do you want to try disabling OpenCL from Preferences? What graphics card are you using? Do you have that set in Preferences or have you switched to WARP?

I don’t know when it started, it’s just now that I started to study digital painting and came to using texture brushes. Disabling hardware acceleration did not have any effect.
My system: CPU Intel i7 4770k, GPU GeForce 1660ti, RAM 16gb, Sata SSD, tablet XP-Pen Deco PRO small.
The problem is observed when drawing from a tablet, when affinity calculates the minimum dynamics of the brush, if you paint with a brush with a mouse, no matter how I increase its size, everything worked correctly.

First, make sure that all drivers are up to date, especially the graphics card drivers for Intel iGPU.

You can/should also try with disabled iGPU in the BIOS to see if it works better.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

5 hours ago, Komatös said:

First, make sure that all drivers are up to date, especially the graphics card drivers for Intel iGPU.

You can/should also try with disabled iGPU in the BIOS to see if it works better.

The integrated video core is not involved. Video output and processing is performed by GeForce 1660Ti. I have the latest build of Windows 10 and all the drivers are up to date. As I wrote above, there are no problems with displaying the brush preview if you use the low precision mode. Here the problem is most likely in Affinity itself.

6 hours ago, AsFrog said:

The integrated video core is not involved. Video output and processing is performed by GeForce 1660Ti. I have the latest build of Windows 10 and all the drivers are up to date. As I wrote above, there are no problems with displaying the brush preview if you use the low precision mode. Here the problem is most likely in Affinity itself.

I tested the brushes on my second computer and ran into the same problem. Texture brushes preview is very slow.
I cannot work normally on my second computer 😧

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

So it looks like the Wacom tablets support all the precision modes, however the Deco and XP Pens are currently only working in Low Precision. 

I'm just getting someone with a Deco 3 to reproduce what you've shown in the videos.

If necessary, I can help. Just tell me what to do.

• Staff

We have the hardware to reproduce the lagging when using other precision modes. It's a case of us adding (if possible) additional support for them. 

I think Low Precision is just making your tablet act as a mouse pointer without pressure, is that correct? 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

We have the hardware to reproduce the lagging when using other precision modes. It's a case of us adding (if possible) additional support for them. 

I think Low Precision is just making your tablet act as a mouse pointer without pressure, is that correct? 

Yes, brush strokes work like mouse input at low precision. The brush stroke is tremulous and not smoothed. All sensitivity functions of the tablet work.

Yes, apparently I was not destined to draw normally in Affinity. Not only is he extremely bad at drawing, but also constant errors and bugs in the work. The stability of work is also low. I'd rather get myself Clip Studio Paint. Because I can't suffer any more while drawing in Affinity Photo.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Good afternoon to the serif team. For a whole year you have not bothered to fix what you yourself broke and unfinished, namely the work of the brushes in Affinity.  Windows ink support is still not provided for XP-Pen tablets. What have you been doing? Oh, yes, you've been working on a new version of Affinity 2.0. Although this is just a major update with a new theme. At the same time, everything that was broken in version 1.10, to my surprise, was also broken in version 2.0. I bought non-working software initially and they offer me to buy it again. Your products are impossible to use, and you don't care! I understand you are not ashamed, you got the money once now you want to get it a second time. Although you promised that you would support the products.
Affinity Publisher was released recently, although it was an unfinished product like all your products, but I really wanted to support you and bought it with the hope that you would at least bring your programs to working condition. To believe the words of the developers is stupid because you are liars, and you don't care that your products don't work. But you will make beautiful videos, and for the millionth time you will promise to finish everything sometime. I hope you will finish at least in version 10.
I didn't ask for much! Just fix the brushes and add support for XP-Pen tablets, I even offered to help with testing if necessary. As a result, I don't have a working application package. At least I can work at Affinity Designer, thank you for that.  
Your support is terrible, you don't care about user problems. You don't care that the programs aren't working. You just brushed off the problem. But you didn't forget to release a supposedly new version. Commercial software makes the user absolutely disenfranchised.
I had various problems in Krita, and everything was solved promptly. And this is in free software, where there are minimal resources and no money. But they care about the users. A couple of years ago, Krita had a problem with windows ink support, the problem was promptly solved in a month, but not completely. The developers spent another year, rewrote a bunch of lines of code and now, in principle, there can be no problems with entering a graphics tablet into Windows OS. Almost everything can be solved by switching input methods and each one works well.
It's a shame and a disgrace to you, I wasted money!
And in general, you know, I'm Russian. We are not people for you now. Block my access to your products. At least I'll calm down and calmly use Clip Studio together with Photoshop, which, unlike your garbage, work.