You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean tools still not working well

Try Option-clicking on the ‘Subtract’ button (instead of just clicking). This will generally give you a more accurate result: it produces a Compound object, but you can always ‘Convert to Curves’ if necessary.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is something that I have struggled with since I began using vector apps (not just Designer). While I think that the Boolean operations have improved greatly since the early days of Designer (my hats off to Matt and the other developers), there is still room for improvement. @Zatlap I'm not sure if this is something that you've tried but in cases like this the solution or workaround is very easy. Just put a couple of additional nodes to both objects and then perform the Boolean Operations and it should work like you want. I did convert your rectangle to curves first but I'm not even sure you need to do that. Probably if you just added extra nodes before the breaking point on the triangle shape and it would probably work. Please see the example that you made (and I altered). I hope that the Boolean operations continue to improve but until then, this has been working wonderfully for me for quite some time. I even use it for rather complex and complicated shapes and it has worked just as well but it takes a while to get a feeling as to where to place the extra nodes. I hope it helps.

Best regards,
Hokusai  

test_02.afdesign

28 minutes ago, Hokusai said:

I even use it for rather complex and complicated shapes and it has worked just as well but it takes a while to get a feeling as to where to place the extra nodes.

For what it’s worth, the method that I described earlier — props to @anon2 for the suggestion — works consistently well. I like the fact that it doesn’t require the user to get a feeling for how best to use it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)