You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to restore corrupted Publisher file

Are you able to upload the document to the forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

To see if the document is repairable you will need to supply a copy of the document somehow

You can upload it to the forum or if it is a private document, you can request a drobox link (in this thread) and a member of the support staff will supply one to you as soon as they get around to seeing your request

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 minutes ago, carl123 said:

a drobox link

*a Dropbox link 

Misbehaving keyboard, or the Boris Johnson effect again? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello! I am having the same issue, but on Affinity Photo with a file I've been using as kind of a sketchbook for a specific character of mine for quite a while. I was able to open it up fine last night, but tonight it tells me "Failed to load Document: [name] The document appears to be corrupted. The document must now be closed. "

I'm worried it might be because I have too many layers?? (and if this is the case maybe you'd be able to remove all the layers in a folder in it that I have named "Finished + Exported"? I had this saved in case I wanted to make changes to those pieces later but it's fine, they can be removed)

I would have made my own topic but I read that it was preferred we find a post with the answer first.

Here is the file, I'm hoping it can be fixed, thank you! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1maypbTUz9jY-WjA5svV-jfJC-We71mD8/view?usp=sharing

@SwiftilySquirrel

13 hours ago, SwiftilySquirrel said:

I'm worried it might be because I have too many layers??

Technically, your file is fine as regards the number of layers it has. Affinity can support many more layers that you will probably ever need

13 hours ago, SwiftilySquirrel said:

and if this is the case maybe you'd be able to remove all the layers in a folder in it that I have named "Finished + Exported"?

That folder is fine so I had no need to remove it

This image (below) was causing problems so I removed it

Attached file now opens but can't guarantee all corruptions are fixed. So strongly suggest you make regular backups to a new file

Edit: Attached file now deleted as no longer needed online

corrupt.jpg

PS The Resource Manage is showing a weird DPI for one of your images - not sure what that is all about

Affinity Staff may want to have a look at that

rm.png

32 minutes ago, carl123 said:

PS The Resource Manage is showing a weird DPI for one of your images - not sure what that is all about

Interesting. It shows fine for me:

image.png.12b18215e10276aeba5f8e7d7f2f9fc0.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Interesting. It shows fine for me:

Interesting. What do you get for placed size in Resource Manager?

32 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Interesting. What do you get for placed size in Resource Manager?

Sorry. Should have included that, too.

In my workflow, this is what shows up: image.png.150976c310a129d0844fbffef4bdc241.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

@SwiftilySquirrel

Technically, your file is fine as regards the number of layers it has. Affinity can support many more layers that you will probably ever need

Attached file now opens but can't guarantee all corruptions are fixed. So strongly suggest you make regular backups to a new file.

Oh, good to know! I did have many, many layers in an Affinity Designer document one time due to copying an pasting what were essentially particles on vector layers to the point of lag haha and that was way more layers than this has I'm sure.

Thank you both! I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'll definitely start doing backups and I'll look through the file I have as well and clean it out. If that one was causing an issue, I somewhat have an idea of what others might since that was a sketch I had taken from another art program from before I used Affinity, and the other one you found was a photo reference so it seems to be related to imported images I have (and I don't even need that one anymore so I'll remove it even though it shows up fine on Walt's, just to be safe).

Also is it possible to remove the fixed file download link? The document isn't super private, but I'd rather my art files not be public beyond what it had to be for getting it fixed, I have it downloaded and everything now (plus a backup). Thank you again!

@SwiftilySquirrel

To remove the document, simply go into the specific post that includes it, click on the ellipsis (three dots top right corner), choose Edit and then delete the file from your post.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

1 minute ago, emmrecs01 said:

@SwiftilySquirrel

To remove the document, simply go into the specific post that includes it, click on the ellipsis (three dots top right corner), choose Edit and then delete the file from your post.

Oh! I mean on the one that Carl posted above, I removed my own file on Google Drive anyway, I was just asking him to delete that, sorry I wasn't clear but thank you for letting me know it can be done

@SwiftilySquirrel

If you tag @carl123 he will get a notification that you have mentioned him in a post.  Or, you could use the Private Message system to contact him directly.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

@emmrecs01

Ohhhh! I thought that quoting did tagging too. Thank you for explaining, I really appreciate it!

@carl123

23 minutes ago, SwiftilySquirrel said:

Also is it possible to remove the fixed file download link? The document isn't super private, but I'd rather my art files not be public beyond what it had to be for getting it fixed, I have it downloaded and everything now (plus a backup). Thank you again!

7 hours ago, SwiftilySquirrel said:

All done

• Staff

Hi @EuniceC,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Have you been able to resolve the issue with your corrupted file locally, or are you still having an issue loading this document?

If so, we will need to see a copy of the document as mentioned above to determine the possible cause of this. Can you please attach a copy of the .afpub file here?

If you don't wish to upload the file publicly, please let me know and I can provide a private upload link and forward the files to our developers for further investigation.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @kaluzikr,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

We’re sorry to hear that your Affinity document is no longer opening for you. Many thanks for providing a copy of this file,  we’ll take a further look at the file to see if we can recover any of its contents. We would obviously also like some additional information to see if we can work out the cause of the problem and stop it happening in future. To assist this process, as well as uploading your file, please can you also tell us the following:

1. Which Operating System are you using?
2. Which version of Affinity did the file last get saved in?
3. What drive type was the file last saved to (select more than one if needed)?
Local disk
USB disk/Flash disk
Google Drive folder
OneDrive folder
iCloud folder
Dropbox folder
Network location
Other (please specify)

4. Any other information you think would help us try to find the problem?

We suggest that you check to see if you have any backups of the document available in case we’re unable to recover the file. The investigation process can take some time, but we’ll be back in contact with our findings.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I have an Affinity Publisher file that will not open – or rather, it opens but I see the message 'The document file appears to be corrupted and must now be closed.'

Would it be possible for someone to take look? I'd be very grateful. I would prefer to keep the document private, so can I request a Dropbox link?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

FM

• Staff

Hi @FM JW,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & I'm certainly sorry to hear this.

I have included a Dropbox link below for your file, please reply here to let me know once this has been uploaded - 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/A8vavVuVRNpODqrwl1fY

Within your reply, can you also please provide answer for the above 4 questions, highlighted in bold?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Hi @FM JW,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & I'm certainly sorry to hear this.

I have included a Dropbox link below for your file, please reply here to let me know once this has been uploaded - 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/A8vavVuVRNpODqrwl1fY

Within your reply, can you also please provide answer for the above 4 questions, highlighted in bold?

Many thanks in advance :)

Thanks Dan. I have uploaded the file. 

1. Mac OS Sierra
2. 1. 10. 4
3. Dropbox
4. Nothing else to add. It opened fine the last time I used it and now has this problem.

Thanks again for any help you can offer :)

Edited by FM JW

• Staff

Many thanks for providing this for me!

I believe I may be able to recover the file, but I'd like to do this retaining as much of the document as possible - for me to do this, can you please confirm for me:

What size was set for your page?

What colour format & profile were used?

Did the Facing Pages start on the Left or the Right? 

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

Many thanks!