You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ETA of switch to TestFlight

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 1:22 PM, MattP said:

Not exactly sure on the timing, to be honest, but I can certainly imagine using TestFlight as part of our process :)

That'd be a cool move indeed. I've been using it on iOS for both NetNewsWire and Zotero, and it works great. Well, maybe you can't comment on it either way, but it's certainly funny to imagine Apple just assuming you would eventually do so and using AP as an example without even consulting you. :P

The only sticking point is whether the Betas would replace the latest stable MAS version (for those who did originally acquire their own licence from there), because that's how it usually works in iOS. That might be a problem for this kind of pro apps, as it would make testing Betas and work on ongoing projects on the same machine a bit of a hassle, but I hope Apple allows you to get around the issue by using a different app identifier just like you currently do.

On an unrelated note but still on the topic of WWDC, it was also interesting to see, after the hugely prominent photos from Lisbon they've shown some years ago, the odd little Portuguese easter egg thrown in there again… I guess they were priming us all for the Maps improvements. ;)

9 hours ago, JGD said:

The only sticking point is whether the Betas would replace the latest stable MAS version (for those who did originally acquire their own licence from there), because that's how it usually works in iOS.

They've been using TestFlight for the iOS betas of Affinity Designer and Photo for some time now, haven't they?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They've been using TestFlight for the iOS betas of Affinity Designer and Photo for some time now, haven't they?

Yes indeed, and the betas happily coexist with the retail versions.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 6/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, Alfred said:

Yes indeed, and the betas happily coexist with the retail versions.

Cool to know! My ancient iPad 3 can't run any of those, sadly… That's why I had no idea of that was an issue in iPadOS.

Will my mum's iPad Mini… 3? 4? be able to run them, by the way? I may be getting it as a hand-me-down rather soon, ant it could be a useful additional platform for some uses.

2 hours ago, JGD said:

Will my mum's iPad Mini… 3? 4? be able to run them, by the way?

Sadly not. They can only run on the iPad Mini 5, not the earlier Mini models.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 6/23/2021 at 7:16 PM, Alfred said:

Sadly not. They can only run on the iPad Mini 5, not the earlier Mini models.

Ahh, shucks. Well, if only I could replicate my Zotero + LO setup, which I can't do without, on an iPad, I would've splurged on a new one (maybe a Pro?) for myself a long, looooong time ago. Until then, it's “MacBook something” territory only for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Maybe I'll get an el cheapo iPad Air/plain iPad or one of its successors when either of these two inevitably bite the dust. :P 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.