You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fuji's RAF files issues in Develop Persona

Help please! When I open raw files in AP 1.8.3 on my MacBook (2008) they appear way darker and way less sharp than the Jpgs. In order to fix sharpness I have to apply a radius of over 40, which creates noise...The same raws though appear even sharper than the Jpgs when opened in PS. My camera is Fujifilm XT20. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Thank you!

• Staff

Hi @rosicassano,
Welcome to Affinity Forums 
:)
Affinity Photo doesn't apply any sharpening by default to the RAW images when opened in Develop Persona contrary to most other software which is why they look less sharpen when opened there or when compared to the camera processed JPG's (which also sharpens the images). We leave these decisions to the user.
Check the Clarity control in the Basic Section or the R
etail Refinement under the Lens section to increase the sharpeness/detail in Develop Persona.

Regarding opening darker, do you mind attaching a sample RAW for us to inspect please?
If you switch the RAW engine to Apple (Core Image RAW) does it open equally darker? To switch RAW engines, open a RAW file, go to menu View > Assistant Manager and pick the Apple engine in the RAW Engine dropdown. You need to re-load the RAW file again for the new setting take effect.

22 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @rosicassano,
Welcome to Affinity Forums 
:)
Affinity Photo doesn't apply any sharpening by default to the RAW images when opened in Develop Persona contrary to most other software which is why they look less sharpen when opened there or when compared to the camera processed JPG's (which also sharpens the images). We leave these decisions to the user.
Check the Clarity control in the Basic Section or the R
etail Refinement under the Lens section to increase the sharpeness/detail in Develop Persona.

Regarding opening darker, do you mind attaching a sample RAW for us to inspect please?
If you switch the RAW engine to Apple (Core Image RAW) does it open equally darker? To switch RAW engines, open a RAW file, go to menu View > Assistant Manager and pick the Apple engine in the RAW Engine dropdown. You need to re-load the RAW file again for the new setting take effect.

Hi @MEB Thank you for getting back to me! Regarding the first issue, to sharpen the RAW (RAF) at least as sharp as the Jpg, I have to push the radius way up, and that creates artifacts... Regarding opening darker, I tried to switch to Apple engine but to no effect. Here are 2 examples, the Jpg and the RAF of the same image. I've also been told that maybe AP struggles with Fuji's RAF files, can you confirm that? Can you suggest a workaround? Thank you very much.

appennini_coppia1.JPG

appennini_coppia1.RAF