Sign in to follow this  
April

SVG export of placed documents very large

Hello!  When I take a vector-only .afdesign file, and place it into another vector-only .afdesign file, all the placed documents end up being rasterized.  If I choose not to rasterize, they simply don't appear in the SVG file at all.

This makes my SVG files huge (what will normally be a 5KB file will balloon to 150KB on export), and also makes them look really fuzzy.

This is particularly problematic when I am making diagrams by taking pieces of dozens of different design elements and placing them into a single file.

I've attached two versions of the file below: one with a vector (bob), and one with that vector placed into the same size document (bob-placed).  As you can see, bob.svg is only 4.87KB in size, but bob-placed.svg ends up being 496KB.

bob.afdesign

bob.svg

bob-placed.afdesign

bob-placed.svg

This is by design, I'm afraid, but it's also an area that we are working to improve over time. The current customer beta does a better job of preserving embedded documents as vectors, provided they use the same colour space as the host, and don't have a white background. You can try the beta from here.

Ahh, you are absolutely correct.  Using the beta dropped the size from about 500KB to about 6KB.  Thank you so very much!

I'd also like to add that if you have text with an effect (in my case, a 100% opaque black outline @ 8px), that also results in rasterization even though it could probably represented as a curve.  I can open up a new bug for that if you'd like?

Again, that is by design. Effects are always rasterised currently. You might consider using the Stroke panel to put an outline around text (or other vector objects) rather than using effects. The Stroke panel will usually make SVG vector strokes.