You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macro function for save and close

When doing mass editings on lots of files after a holiday or a shooting one could profit from the ability of automating save and close operations.

Therefore I request to include macro functionality in AP which enables to save and close an edited document in one macro operation using provided default settings.

4 hours ago, hy13 said:

When doing mass editings on lots of files after a holiday or a shooting one could profit from the ability of automating save and close operations.

Therefore I request to include macro functionality in AP which enables to save and close an edited document in one macro operation using provided default settings.

You could use the File > New Batch Job...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, hy13 said:

How can I speed up save & close with File --> New Batch Job ? I do not understand your hint.

With a Batch job, you can set it to:

1. Open a set of files;
  2. Run one or more macros on the loaded images;
  3. Save the modified images in the format of your choice in a folder of your choice.

See this help file.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

@John Rostron

Thanks for your detailing. But this is not the case which I want to speed up. I prepared for my work already some macros which do things like sharpen in one step instead of 3 or 4 steps. So I use 2 or three different macros and when I need sharpening I just start one out of those three, let it do its job and then next action. The same I want to achieve with save & close. Instead of save and ok and close I want to call a macro which does all in one call. That is not an important thing when you work on single pics only, but when you edit 30 or 40 in a sequence then it saves a lot of time. For example, when edit work is done, then an  export shall be done, then the save of the *.afphoto file and finally the document shall be closed. If one could do that using just one macro call this would speed up things a lot.

At present, AP macro does not support file operations at all, that is why I asked for such a feature.

• 3 weeks later...

@hy13

What you describe is just what the Batch Job will do, as I described.  It does not get called a Macro, but it does what you need, so what is the problem?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Regarding batch - Batch helps no one who needs Batch PDFs or PSDs. Which is exactly what I need. Batch PDF & PSDs. You have have to export each document one by one to obtain those files lol. 

My wish list is to have the ability to close all tabs and to save OR export tabs I have currently open all at once (to any file ext. i need). I am a production artist. I need to work as efficient as I can. I have to literally cycle through each tab and export each document one by one. I want a save all / export all option. I even have to close each tab one by one. Be even cooler if you can record those actions (save, export, close). Also, don't you have to save the files out one by one to even run them through batch? I process 100's a files a day. Have tons of tabs open. I cannot save each file out one by one just to use "batch" for extensions i don't even need. I love affinity, we are all trying to ditch photoshop, but at least photoshop has a close all documents option lol. Just bc other people's dilemmas aren't your dilemmas doesn't mean it's not a problem and there is a one size fits all solution. Because there isn't that's why have this forum. 

I don't think the wishlist is impractical for anyone asking for the same options via macro recording or the way I am requesting it. 

Or to be fair! Add those all extensions to the batch process (whist only adding save all tabs as affinity files only). Either way, open tabs should have the ability to save all. It makes no sense to save one tab at a time just to have files to even batch process lol).  Especially if you have tons of tabs open to process. If you do one image at a time - i see how this may not hinder you. 

~ ScotchBonn8

@hy13I take the point of your request. The Batch Job in its current form will not do what you need.

John

• 1 month later...

I set a macro function for a group of images. Now I cannot remove the macro window, not can I open any image, which demands I set pixel criteria, even after a restart of program or computer. How can I be rid of this function to open any sort of image now?

5 minutes ago, haemengine said:

Now I cannot remove the macro window,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

A screenshot and/or a short video of your problem might help with us understanding all of your problem. But for removing the Macro panel: View > Studio > and uncheck Macro. Or if the panel has a close button (X on Windows) click that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I suspect the problem lies with upgrades to the iOS of my Mac Air (Catalina). Affinity is not the only software I had problems with. I had a copy of Photo purchased before for my defunct PC. I will put it on the replacement and see if I have the same problems with the Macro panel.

Many thanks for your help.

Peter (Rowley)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...