You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing artboards of an embedded document causes issues in the parent document

This is hard to explain without looking at the attached example...

So I have created a document with 3 art boards. Named Column A B and C. Lets call this the parent document.
Within this document is one embedded document. Lets call this the child document.
The child document is another Affinity Designer document with 3 art boards. Named Red, Blue and Green.

In the parent document, each column artboard contains three references to the same child document.
For each reference, I have selected one of the three artboards of the child document.Any changes made to the three child artboards reflect in the parent document as expected.

However, if I need to resize the child artboards (lets say from 50mm x 50mm to 60mm x 60mm), the following issues appear in the PARENT document...

• Any references to a child artboard that was resized will maintain the original size in the parent document. As in the selection handles treat it as if it's still 50mm x 50mm.
  • Additionally, Affinity does attempt to render the content that escapes the original size, but is glitchy. As if it's rendering outside of it's bounding box when it shouldn't.

It is possible to create a new artboard at a different size in the child document, but as soon as the size is tweaked after initial creation, the parent document will not get the tweaked size.

In my specific use case I need to increase all my artboard sizes to account for some bleed, but currently this causes rendering glitches and doesn't work.
It would be too much effort to recreate my artboards every time I want to resize an artboard because I would then have to change all the references in the parent document to point to the new artboards, which rather defeats the point of referencing embeded documents and propagating changes upwards.

In the attached file I have resized the green artboard, and you should be able to see the issues. Especially when you try to move the green object around in the parent.

Green shape escaping it's bounding box...

image.png.b8d7b93dbc05daa8ac1f086095720543.png

Gitchy trails when moved...

image.png.971f42e5441bd7e73d25e5812474baac.png

The child document artboards...

image.png.a0a4d9f84e4d62c75c39b5edc8d77bb0.png

EmbedDocResizeArtboardBug.afdesign

Edited by ghostwizard
Accidentally posted before finishing the post

• Staff

Hi ghostwizard,

Thanks for letting us know! Interestingly in your example it actually displays correctly once you've saved and re-opened your file! For example if you download your attachment and open it you will find the Green object is the correct size and shows no artifacts, but if you modify the size of either the blue or the red it will be incorrect and exhibit the problems you mentioned, until you save and reopen.

I'll get this passed on to development