You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shapes pasted into text path for alignment end up completely outside and far away from said text path?

I've been trying to figure out the specifics of how text paths work when used to align shapes to them, and I've run into an issue that I can't quite understand. In the document I've uploaded here, when I try to paste an object into the text path in the third group from the bottom, that object will, seemingly no matter what (regardless of the path being adjusted or being made closed, the start/end handles for the text path being adjusted or a different shape being pasted in), end up with a position entirely outside of the text path, with much lower X and Y values than any point on the path itself. Can anyone help me figure out what's going wrong here?

Text paths for alignment of objects along paths experimentation.afdesign

8 hours ago, NullAllocationError said:

Can anyone help me figure out what's going wrong here?

It's a pinned object. This is primarily a Publisher feature, but technically it works in Designer just as well.
Or actually not so well, because "by design", there is no "Pinning" panel in Designer. (Because the Serif Marketing Department said so, I guess…)
That is… there is a Pinning panel in Designer but it's only accessible by "happy accident" if you click the "pinned" icon next to the pinned object in the Layers panel. Then you can adjust all pinned attributes. And make sure to save a new Studio Preset with the Pinning panel active so that you can recall it anytime. At least that's how it works on Mac. (Not all of such "happy accidents" are cross-platform…)

So, it's a pinned inline object, but for some reason it lives outside the text frame. That looks like a weird bug to me.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

9 minutes ago, loukash said:

That is… there is a Pinning panel in Designer but it's only accessible by "happy accident" if you click the "pinned" icon next to the pinned object in the Layers panel. Then you can adjust all pinned attributes. And make sure to save a new Studio Preset with the Pinning panel active so that you can recall it anytime. At least that's how it works on Mac. (Not all of such "happy accidents" are cross-platform…)

So, it's a pinned inline object, but for some reason it lives outside the text frame. That looks like a weird bug to me.

That's extra weird, because here on Windows, I can't even see the "pinned" icon in the Layers panel.

If you also have Publisher, you can always pass the document over to it and edit it there. In fact, you can then stay in Publisher and just switch between the Publisher and Designer personae. Keep in mind that the Affinity document extension *.afdesign more or less only defines the default app to open it. The actual document format is the same for all three apps.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I just tried to reproduce the bug in a new document but I can't.
What were the exact steps to create this object?

1 hour ago, NullAllocationError said:

Then I resized it

I noticed some odd stuff happening when using the scale handle = the second dot at bottom right.

7 hours ago, loukash said:

That is… there is a Pinning panel in Designer but it's only accessible by "happy accident" if you click the "pinned" icon next to the pinned object in the Layers panel.

That isn't by accident. Like the page navigation bar that only appears to the left of the status bar in AD or AP when opening a native format file that has pages, it is there to support a feature that can't be created directly in one or more of the apps but can be adjusted if it was created in a different one.

It is similar to how live filters cannot be created directly in AD but if one is included in a document made in AP, then it can be adjusted if opened in AD.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi NullAllocationError,

Thanks for letting us know. It looks like this is being caused by the Path Text frame object being scaled. I've replicated this in a new document and will get it passed onto development. - see attached.

1. Open document and copy the rectangle
  2. Paste into the 'text' on the path text object - It's fine
  3. Now undo this 
  4. Resize the path text object using the inner handles (such as the one in the top right corner
  5. Now repeat the paste - This time its in the incorrect position like your document.

With regards to the actual Pinning options pasting in Designer shouldn't really be pasting it as a pinned object, because there are no way to access the pinning tools to undo/remove it without just deleting the object. Though we do still need to identify pinned objects in afpub documents when opened - this scenario is something we have already passed on to development. 

PathTextScale.afpub