You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to design a logo and keep everything neat and dimensioned, and the S in the logo is causing me problems. 

I started off drawing two S's and overlapping them, then I performed a Boolean operation and deleted some nodes to achieve the following shapes that make up the single shape I've trying to create (see first two images - I have separated the layers so you can see the two shapes I'm trying to add)

However, when I try to add them together (which should be a straightforward operation) I get the shape shown in the third image, which clearly isn't what I want. 

What am I doing wrong, or is it a bug?

Also, I want to adjust the angle of the shape and then shrink it down in the horizontal axis but when I select it I end up with an angled selection - how do I reformat the selection so that it's square?

Help.

S1.JPG

s2.JPG

S3.JPG

S4.JPG

You probably have open curves and or curves that need joining, without the file it's hard to tell.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

What am I doing wrong, or is it a bug?

This looks like yet another example of the ongoing problems with Boolean operations, although it’s unusual to see issues with ‘Add’ rather than ‘Subtract’ or ‘Divide’. Try creating a Compound object (by holding down the Option/Alt key when you click on the ‘Add’ button on the toolbar).

To reset the bounding box shown in your last screenshot, select the object and perform a Boolean ‘Add’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

All the curves are closed as far as I see. I found some extra nodes that didn't seem to fit the symmetry of what I did previously in the middle bit, so I deleted all the nodes in between the two points so that the hole in the large S shape overlapped the middle bit and added, which seemed to work better - but then it added an extra bit of curve inside the shape down near the bottom, so I just filled that bit in as well in the same way and then it all added together properly.

And it also automatically reset the boundary box that time.. 

I don't really understand how or why small imperfections seemed to creep in there and ruin my work flow. Maybe it was something I did, or maybe it's the software. 

As for unusual to have problems with add (you say) I was working with objects I previously performed subtractive Boolean operations on. One thing about Illustrator that I find works better is the ability to just click and delete sections in overlapping objects. 

S5.JPG

26 minutes ago, Alfred said:

To reset the bounding box shown in your last screenshot, select the object and perform a Boolean ‘Add’.

If I do that it also fills in the holes.

edit - however I managed to achieve a square boundary box by performing a series of Boolean operation where I added then used separate layers for the holes to subtract out the holes again, which seems like an awfully convoluted way of performing what should be a straightforward one-click operation???

S6.JPG

S7.JPG

14 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

If I do that it also fills in the holes.

edit - however I managed to achieve a square boundary box by performing a series of Boolean operation where I added then used separate layers for the holes to subtract out the holes again, which seems like an awfully convoluted way of performing what should be a straightforward one-click operation???

Well done! But yes, it should be much more straightforward.

Alfred spacer.png

57 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

I can´t help myself: ugly from scratch.

BooleanAdd.gif.ada809bf7cb4805afaaf287f20d39420.gif

You might could have uploaded that portion here for detailed inspection though.

Not sure you are doing it the same way I did, in any case I can't remember now exactly what. This is essentially what I was working with when trying to Add the two layers.

I tried to recreate this the way I think I did it and I can't seem to recreate the initial S shapes I drew using the Pen tool, snapping to the grid and snapping the handles to one square every second node to create nice circular bends - now the edges have a slight kink in them.

Anyway, in trying to recreate my steps I now have a second design for the S which I am considering instead now anyway. 

S.afdesign

27 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

I don´t know why you have created 3 parts.

3Parts.png.cccfb43acf58343e7cdc23109a050a72.png

There are only two layers in that file. The dark blue was created by some kind of subtractive Boolean, where the two original S shapes overlapped. I also use Boolean I think to get rid of the ends of the S's. And the original S I drew had a slight kink in it too, it wasn't a perfect circular curve. I'm trying to figure out how to draw a perfect circle using the pen tool.

SS.JPG

7 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

I'm trying to figure out how to draw a perfect circle using the pen tool.

Is there a particular reason why you don’t want to use the Ellipse Tool for this? :/

Alfred spacer.png

"Layers" are just the term in Affinity what "objects" in other apps.

There are start and end points and "winding rules" which determines the direction of a path. Curves can also be merged. Joining is meant for continuous paths/strokes.

25 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

I'm trying to figure out how to draw a perfect circle using the pen tool.

17 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Is there a particular reason why you don’t want to use the Ellipse Tool for this? :/

11 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Same reason I learned how to do arithmetic in school before I used a calculator.

Come to think of it, even the Ellipse Tool won’t give you a perfect circle. Although you can achieve a good approximation, it isn’t mathematically possible to describe a perfect circle with Bézier curves.

Alfred spacer.png

10 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

There are start and end points and "winding rules" which determines the direction of a path.

Not sure I follow. If I take that double SS and first perform a divide on it, then select only the parts I want and try to add them - they are all individual layers comprising one basic shape topology and they are all touching - why do I end up with this?

SS1.JPG

SS2.JPG

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Come to think of it, even the Ellipse Tool won’t give you a perfect circle. Although you can achieve a good approximation, it isn’t mathematically possible to describe a perfect circle with Bézier curves.

I don't think the concept of a perfect circle exist anywhere in the universe (apart from in concept)

I'd like to know how to get close with the Bezzies anyway..

6 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

I don't think the concept of a perfect circle exist anywhere in the universe (apart from in concept)

I'd like to know how to get close with the Bezzies anyway..

Is this close enough for you? :/

FE111381-C0D6-4793-B654-7C5EA0187203.jpeg.0c6c566519ae3edc794c3c4f3a4d47a3.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

Just now, PixelPest said:

Why why why divide?

To separate the two shapes out into the relevant intersecting parts?

This is what Boolean operations are for right? 

How else would I achieve the end result I'm looking for. There is probably another way using interest and subtract on two variations of the overlapping SS's...

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Is this close enough for you? :/

499DB308-E69B-4053-9B45-4044D7AB138D.jpeg

Can't really tell unless I can compare in AD with the circle feature. Any time I've tried I always get margins AND asymmetry. I guess ultimately it probably comes down to using many more nodes than just the four..