Jump to content
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Same issue, PDF Export not good.


Recommended Posts

Such a great product line, but not quite ready for the fight.

I can't have process black type when the imported pdf is correct.

Please Serif, fix this, it really is a make or break for real print shop production. 

I use and when and where I can, but thus far it is not competitive to the other "A" (not Aldus!) competitor.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not slagging on the product, I tell everyone to get it. 75 bux, it's incredible. However in the importing of PDFs, fidelity needs to be maintained. It's just plain old bad that I have to utilize a product I despise because Publisher can't do what it should. 

In one particular job, it was going so great, items snapped in so easy, so much better, but the final outcome? Can't have it wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a bit confused about whether you're talking about an issue importing PDF files, or an issue exporting PDF files.

-- Walt

Desktop:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 
Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
        Affinity Photo 1.10.6 (.1665) and 2.0..3  and 2.0.3.1670 beta/ Affinity Designer 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.0.3 and 2.0.3.1670 beta / Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.0.3 and 2.0.3.1670 beta
iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 16.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

      Affinity Photo 1.10.6 and 2.0.3 / Affinity Designer 1.10.6 and 2.0.3 / Affinity Publisher 2.0.3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Walt,
It is in exporting PDFs, but I believe it is a problem when the same file (multiple pages) are imported where the problem is happening. I find using AP excellent in all manners up to this point. I did not have any issues in 1.90 but since then, hit or miss. I have confirmed via Pitstop that the original files are correct in color. 

I am also anxious then about any color changes that may be happening upon export that are not so obvious.

I am trying to get AP used as a replacement for rental software (besides price I have other issues with some of their programs as well), and it's very close, but this is a real deal breaker.

I can list so many pluses of the program, I have been able to do crossover checks easier than ever. I have taken pdfs that need bleed and easily done  it. It is fairly stable (considering how much is in it and it's age, it's great). I am not asking for something that no one else does, it is pretty standard and I wish Serif would really do something.

Windows 10 64 bit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bear in mind, I change these regularly from my standard set because of this particular issue. The original file (PDF) is correct.

I do this kind of stuff all day, all the time, in many different programs, fyi. 
 

Issue with AP.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Rodi said:

Bear in mind, I change these regularly from my standard set because of this particular issue. The original file (PDF) is correct.

I do this kind of stuff all day, all the time, in many different programs, fyi. 
 

Issue with AP.PNG

As do I, though I do not use Affinity for my work I stick with Adobe as it works and gets the job done. No time to figure this out on live jobs. 

I do not see anything out of order, looks like all the settings I would set. Are you able to upload the file or an example of a file that is fine in Publisher but exports incorrectly to PDF?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rodi said:

Yes I can, but to be clear, since there is no way to check seps in AP at this point, it could be the program doing it, not the export, who knows, right?

My long term mission is to get out of Adobe net, and fighting through this. 

File uploaded with embedded art. The 




 

6695 Hedges_REF_Trifold.afpub 99.06 MB · 0 downloads

It has been a while since I have tested this but man they have made this overly complex for something that should be so simple.

Did you create in Publisher or are they placed PDF's from elsewhere? I see the text is 100 % K but when I export using all your settings save changing the ICC profile to SWOP 2, which matches your document settings. I get the text 100% K in Acrobat but it has 1% magenta. If I view in Indesign as separations it has a small percentage CMY. 

This still baffles me why you can't simply export a PDF in CMYK that matches the CMYK settings you have in your file. This is not even a question people ask with Indesign, it just works simply. Why the Affinity suite is amazing value for the money this is one of the reasons I do not think it is ready to replace Adobe. I certainly am not rushing to get rid of Adobe, it works, does not give me headaches for simple things like this and it makes me money. It is also the standard in print, I have only had one customer bring in a PDF that was made with Designer and they are not designers, just someone who took advantage of a great app for a great price. I personally would save yourself the headaches and stick with Adobe for the moment till they resolve a lot of little things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Lagarto, I will try that next time.

I am not knocking Affinity products. I actually have found them quite useful, and they do things that I could never get done otherwise with ID/AI.... but some of the things that should be straight forward are not.

I think what I will do next time is make duplicate copies, I think it really gets hung up on multiple copies of a pdf in a document.

Thanks for all the input. 

I am optimistic and I think they will get it done at some point. Good thing is they aren't even in the radar of most printshops/design houses so they can mature the product some more. I used ID 1, 1.5 :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2021 at 1:55 PM, wonderings said:

It has been a while since I have tested this but man they have made this overly complex for something that should be so simple.

Did you create in Publisher or are they placed PDF's from elsewhere? I see the text is 100 % K but when I export using all your settings save changing the ICC profile to SWOP 2, which matches your document settings. I get the text 100% K in Acrobat but it has 1% magenta. If I view in Indesign as separations it has a small percentage CMY. 

This still baffles me why you can't simply export a PDF in CMYK that matches the CMYK settings you have in your file. This is not even a question people ask with Indesign, it just works simply. Why the Affinity suite is amazing value for the money this is one of the reasons I do not think it is ready to replace Adobe. I certainly am not rushing to get rid of Adobe, it works, does not give me headaches for simple things like this and it makes me money. It is also the standard in print, I have only had one customer bring in a PDF that was made with Designer and they are not designers, just someone who took advantage of a great app for a great price. I personally would save yourself the headaches and stick with Adobe for the moment till they resolve a lot of little things. 

PDFs come from everywhere in my shop. I need to be able to make folding panels go quickly, next job is on deck! 

Here is the thing, it's a great tool, if they get these small things ironed out, it's gonna be a dragon slayer, and I want it to work. I have a job that is a two (2) color item, done in Illustrator, never to do size with bleed always has to be fit in. I would spend a lot of time fixing it in Acrobat/Illustrator/ID. I get it done in a few minutes now... It's a great program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2021 at 9:44 PM, Rodi said:

PDFs come from everywhere in my shop. I need to be able to make folding panels go quickly, next job is on deck! 

Here is the thing, it's a great tool, if they get these small things ironed out, it's gonna be a dragon slayer, and I want it to work. I have a job that is a two (2) color item, done in Illustrator, never to do size with bleed always has to be fit in. I would spend a lot of time fixing it in Acrobat/Illustrator/ID. I get it done in a few minutes now... It's a great program.

What are you doing in Affinity that is that much quicker than doing with Illustrator or InDesign? I get files all the time that are not set right, no bleed, incorrect size, etc etc etc. These do not take me ages to fix and generally are simple fixes in Adobe. What is easier in Affinity?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

90% of work comes in as PDFs, nad

On 6/29/2021 at 3:13 AM, Lagarto said:

Yes, for me, too, I mostly use them as tools (but so far not for production). Did you manage to resolve the problem of this post? There were some strange things (embedded fonts did not seem to work, black overprint failed because K100 had become four-color black; the embedded file could not be saved as a linked version); on the second time that I tried, changing the bleed box did not resolve the problem with color translation, so the actual cause for losing "PDF Passthrough" was not clear, but that was definitely the reason why these problems occurred.

 

Had an all K pdf job turned into a perfect bound book, same thing. Ya know what I did? turned all the work into PANTONE Black C spot color. LOL, it worked, but it's lunacy that my RIP system needs to convert that to black (when only spot colors) because of an issue it has with not making side guides in Spot colors. A little sweating, but it got done. Cursed you AP for not being perfect!

 

On 6/30/2021 at 7:42 AM, wonderings said:

What are you doing in Affinity that is that much quicker than doing with Illustrator or InDesign? I get files all the time that are not set right, no bleed, incorrect size, etc etc etc. These do not take me ages to fix and generally are simple fixes in Adobe. What is easier in Affinity?

AP really does the job of both Illy and ID combined, and I like that, it's easy where ID is easy and flexible where Illy is flexible. 

Setting up panels is easily done in every page layout program, yes I get it done in em all and then some (still use Freehand!).


I get many jobs just sent in PDF format. A tool that has been great for much is Callas PDFToolbox, it does a lot cool stuff cutting readers to single page, removing crops, even adding bleed (works a good portion of the time). 

I use AP/Designer as you probably use Illustrator, but I have never found Illustrator good at handling regular text, it's awful. AP works in similar fashion as Oris PDF Tuner, and with the advent of 1.9+ Passthrough is great. If I don't have the fonts I will make a PDF Copy of just text and eliminate the text on the art copy. Then I am free to move around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They are imported PDFs from customer files. Honestly, I have a "Basic" export I made that works for danged near everything, but when I get this issue, I export all different ways to see what may fix the friggin thing, so my specific pdf type may not be what I usually do, duly noted on the pass through, I will try to export at the latest and greatest.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.