You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create a shape

Assign a pantone

Duplicate the shape

Assign another pantone

Duplicate the shape one more time

Assign another pantone

And so on.

1/ APub creates a new palette "document" with the first pantone. OK but the name is not "Pantone XXX" but "Global color 1".

We need to rename it.

2/ Others pantone are ignored. We need to create them manually.

3/ Although shapes 3-4-5, etc have others pantone, they all have "Global color 2" !!!!

We need to click on each global color to correct it.

Pantone and global colors are very confusing and not user friendly. I hope you will change this in next releases.

pantone publisher.jpg

I can confirm this palette confusion of a not requested new palette "Document", here instead of using a currently selected "Unnamed" (app's default name).

The naming of swatches was discussed various times as being quite confusing and/or annoying. It also affects copied swatches, which simply ignore an existing custom and useful name by the default "Global Color #".

Here's another confusing situation were the UI appears to get indifferent as if it couldn't decide what to display. You can cause it by assigning a different swatch to a selected object + switching for a global color the (unlocked) selector's type, which by default for each global is "Tints" plus displaying color name(s). Here for 3 global swatches, each made of 100-0-0-0, a switch to the sliders view starts the confusion, for both the app & the user. At some point suddenly none of the swatches seems to assigned any more to certain objects. I can't tell whether it is related or is coincidence that here those swatches are affected which get their slider view opened as being RGB instead of their actually CMYK – or whether its related to their differing property settings of global / spot / overprint.

As usual for interface confusion it's hardly possible to judge what's actually happening exactly. So it also might be related to this reported & logged issue from June 2019:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@Gabe, doesn't currently almost any bugs title with "pantone" appear meaningful? To me "pantone" always is related to issues with global, spot and possibly overprint and either export or app-internal use and user's interface experience like swatch / color panel and its items & functions. With other words, it can be hard really to be clear in the title especially with pantone if it is related to a bunch of situations or possibilities while the user can't even judge or tell what indeed is going on. – E.g. "pantone confusing interface oddities with swatches palettes and names" may sound more verbose but is also excluding related aspects. – And, No, I don't want to enforce @lenogre to title any topic unspecifically!

My english is very poor. I prefer write the less…

Fortunately, I still have Acrobat Pro 9 to see what happens.

You can rename "Pantone XXX" > "Donald Trump" if you want, or "Johnny Rotten" in APub, Acrobat will display "Pantone XXX" !

pantone APub.jpg

I guess aside "pantone" you would know at least one more keyword for the title, for instance "interface" or "export" or "import" … (glad you didn't choose "problem" or "issue" as title in a bugs forum;)

These different names don't seem to be the / a problem but rather shows a symptom of lacks in the interface, (naming options are likely meant as a feature).

Note, in Affinity every spot color needs to be global + may have 2 names, one as global and one as spot. Both are displayed in the Colors Panel. The name as spot gets exported + appears in a PDF and printer's RIP.

47438853_spotglobalnames.jpg.28f4e872975e6b6a4d641dfdc6b0bb9c.jpg632360075_spotglobalrename.jpg.cece09fe159e376942219694facdcdc7.jpg 

That's because Affiniy apps use 2 names for swatches, 1 for display in the palette, 1 for spot color.... Grrr

It wouldn't be a problem if when adding Pantone swatches the display name was the Pantone one, but we need to rename them since it's a generic non-usefull name.

Perhaps it's to avoid naming plates with wrong names for people using spot colors, and allow them to use personalized ones... The intend s good, but not practical in a workflow.

___

C'est parce que les appli Affinity utilisent 2 noms pour les/certaines (?) couleurs, celui affiché dans la palette, et celui d'origine du Pantone, par exemple.

Ce ne serait pas gênant si en créant la couleur elle conservait son nom dans la palette, mis nous devons la renommer car ce n'est pas le cas.

C'est peut-être pour permettre de personnaliser le nom des couleurs quand on utilise des références Pantone ou autre... Si l'idée est louable, elle est peu pratique pour un travail professionnel.

Adding a button synchronisation between name and pantone would be great :

Global color <> Pantone XXX becomes Pantone XXX <> Pantone XXX

But I can understand this philosophy. We can have a Pantone color for a tittle and a very similar Pantone color for a sub-tittle for example. In this case, I'd rather have "tittle" (global color 1) for Pantone 01 and "sub-tittle" (global color 2) for Pantone 02.

I remember in InDesign, it was sometimes hard to know which pantone was used because we can't rename it. Pantone is a Pantone.

So the trick was to add a new color with same CMYK attributes and rename it : "Pantone XXX - tittle" for example.

I've also noticed a bigger problem. If you import a AD file with global colors, APub doesn't detect any of them.

2 hours ago, lenogre said:

I remember in InDesign, it was sometimes hard to know which pantone was used because we can't rename it. Pantone is a Pantone.

Lorsqu'ils sont hérités d'un fichier importé. Ce qui permet de préserver la cohérence des fichiers.
Le nom permet essentiellement de l'identifier. Comme la nuance n'est importante que pour la visualisation. Si la couleur est traitée comme ton direct.

When inherited from an imported file. This ensures that the files remain consistent.
The name essentially identifies it. As the shade is only important for visualisation. If the colour is treated as a direct tone.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

11 hours ago, uneMule said:
13 hours ago, lenogre said:

When inherited from an imported file. This ensures that the files remain consistent.

Furthermore the prepress process / RIP might use this specific, unique Pantone name for proper automatic handling. While a custom spot color can be user-defined with inks of CMYK the Pantone colors often can't.

Also, unchangeable Pantone swatch names maybe helpful because ID imports swatches of an imported resource and thereby avoids duplicates – whereas in Affinity even a simple copy/paste of an object with an assigned Pantone swatch does not result in a swatch for this object, although its spot / Pantone name got copied, too (= is available in both documents). If you select the pasted object and hit "add swatch" then it gets a new name ("Global Colour #"). This way you easily can get various global color swatches but with same color definition / same visual appearance in the layout, which can make this Affinity feature of custom swatch/spot names confusing or annoying, up to useless.

20 hours ago, thomaso said:

Furthermore the prepress process / RIP might use this specific, unique Pantone name for proper automatic handling. While a custom spot color can be user-defined with inks of CMYK the Pantone colors often can't.

Bonjour, c'est dimanche.

Dans certains flux de traitement des fichiers, qui ne sont pas de simple rip, il est possible que le système substitue la description du Pantone défini dans le fichier par la définition contenue dans la base du flux. Cela n'a pas d'importance, sauf si la couleur est séparée pour être imprimée en primaires CMYK.
Normalement les couleurs de ton direct (parfois appelées accompagnement) sont censées être imprimées en tant que telle. Il est préférable des les utiliser dans ce sens et dans les autres cas créer des "globale" pour conserver un lien entre objet et couleur.

Hello, it's Sunday.

In some file processing workflows, which are not simple rip, it is possible for the system to substitute the Pantone description defined in the file with the definition contained in the base of the workflow. This does not matter unless the colour is separated for printing in CMYK primaries.
Normally spot colours (sometimes called spot) are meant to be printed as such. It is preferable to use them in this sense and in other cases to create "globals" to maintain a link between object and colour.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

• 5 months later...

I also wanted to add my voice to this thread and complain about the double names of colors. This is not a feature, but a bug! At least, how it's implemented.
If there is a wish to rename a color in a different name then what is exported, there should be a need to choose that. Otherwise - you easily make mistakes. Happened to me lately and makes you look like an idiot or someone who doesn't care. Standard should be: exported name and displayed name should be the same!

Please fix color palettes!