You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v193 LiveFilter Perspective > copy/paste > weird change of distortion & size

Three cog shapes got distorted with Perspektive Live Filter in Photo Persona. Every copy of these shapes behaves weird, regardless of copied via cmd-C, cmd-J, cmd-drag or menu.

Though the three shapes have quite similar size & distortion their copies are very different to each other, one extremely enlarged and stretched, one nearly in remaining size but slightly different distorted, one quite decreased.

The distortion frames of originals & copies look quite the same though the position of the copies change. It's a visible but small position change compared to the lot more obvious different filter results.

v193apub_perspective_copy.afpub

Note, the objects were created in a 200 pages afpub, for upload all other pages were deleted, but the .afpub still has 38 MB size. I tried two more saves-as but with no difference. – Any idea what causes this size?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi @thomaso,

Thanks for spotting this. Issue logged. 

7 hours ago, thomaso said:

Note, the objects were created in a 200 pages afpub, for upload all other pages were deleted, but the .afpub still has 38 MB size. I tried two more saves-as but with no difference. – Any idea what causes this size?

Initially I thought it's related to your snapshot containing all 200pages. But even if I delete it and save as, it's still 38.8mb. I'll try and find out what's going on

7 hours ago, thomaso said:

Any idea what causes this size?

Judging from your original document title (Fields panel) "v183 allg. tests", this is an old document. Possibly an earlier bug or app crash has "locked" some redundant data into it? Have you ever used "Save History With Document" here?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

9 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Initially I thought it's related to your snapshot containing all 200pages. But even if I delete it and save as, it's still 38.8mb. I'll try and find out what's going on

Before 1st save-as it was 128 MB / 200 pages, after save-as 85 MB / 200 pgs. Then I deleted 199 pages and got 38 MB / 1 page, save-as didn't shrink it any further.

Can you please check what kind of content is still present in this one-page document?
Is it reconstructible layout content - or "just" data garbage? What is causing it remaining in the document?

I'm interested in this not only because of the file size, but also because of data security. I think users/creators of Affinity documents must be enabled to be sure about content inside their native files to be deleted. (different to any hardware memory which deletes virtually only until it needs to use that space)

4 minutes ago, loukash said:

Possibly an earlier bug or app crash has "locked" some redundant data into it?

Of cause such "lock" did happen – "lock" is rather simply a synonym for the symptom than the culprit which is causing it.

Even if related to former app versions (note, there is no upwards incompatibility): Inside files delete means delete, unless the user saves with history or, like Apple's Preview.app for instance, which saves various file stages as hidden backups within its system folder structure but makes it obvious to the user with an according menu entry.

I don't think at all Serif is "doing" such undeleted rubbish in purpose. I just say it must not happen. Different to a not properly working feature it might become a legal matter, too, e.g. if Affinity is used for legally relevant documents. No, I am not personally concerned or panicking, just trying to make it clear.

• Staff

There is a bug at the moment where snapshot data is not purged immediately after a save as(but not accessible / retrievable by the end user). Once the document - which looks too big - re-opened and saved (or saved as), the file size will be back to normal. 

So essentially for a 100mb doc

1. Document with snapshot > Save as > File size > 100mb
  2. Delete everything including snapshot > Save as > File size > still 100mb 
  3. Close and re-open the "empty" doc > Save as (or make any change and Save) > File size > less 100kb

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

There is a bug at the moment where snapshot data is not purged immediately after a save as

I think you must mean not purged immediately before a ‘Save As...’! ;)

Edit: I see what you’re saying. The expectation is that after the ‘Save As’ the snapshot data is purged so that it isn’t available to save when the document is closed, but that doesn’t currently happen.

I see that this topic is tagged with two issue numbers. Are there actually two bugs rather than just one? :/

Edited by Alfred
Lightbulb moment

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I see that this topic is tagged with two issue numbers. Are there actually two bugs rather than just one?

Yep. See the first post :) There are actually 3 (1 is unrelated to what's been discussed here but came as a bonus while poking this issue)

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Once the document - which looks too big - re-opened and saved (or saved as), the file size will be back to normal

So essentially for a 100mb doc

1. Document with snapshot > Save as > File size > 100mb
  2. Delete everything including snapshot > Save as > File size > still 100mb 
  3. Close and re-open the "empty" doc > Save as (or make any change and Save) > File size > less 100kb

That's what I usually experience. But not with this document. That's why I mentioned "I tried two more saves-as but with no difference."
For such save-as (in the sake to get rid of data trash) it appears logical to me that a 2nd save-as requires close & re-open, therefore I had not mentioned it literally.

So, can you achieve a smaller file size with the .afpub? – To me it insists in its 38 MB.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

data is not purged immediately after a save as

It is not about immediately or later, – it's that something prevents any purge persistingly, consequently.

It reminds me to a former thread, same issue: An almost empty .afpub insisted in 32 MB.
Today I just downloaded this .afpub > did save-as > got 28 MB (!). Another save-as didn't help. Re-opened + deleted all layers > save-as > still 28 MB.  Re-open + delete all pages > save-as > still 28 MB, for 1 blank page.

29 minutes ago, Gabe said:

definitely deleting the snapshot?

Aaah, that did the trick!

1. deleted the snapshot in Designer persona
  2. regular Save: file size rose to ~44 MB
  3. closed document
  4. opened document
  5. did any random change to document
  6. regular Save: file size shrank to mere ~80 KB

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 6/4/2021 at 9:43 AM, Gabe said:

There is a bug at the moment where snapshot data is not purged immediately after a save as

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

Are you definitely deleting the snapshot? The second thread you're mentioning has the same large snapshot. 

Oh, Sorry!, I haven't understood your first reply entirely and read "snapshot" as synonym for hidden preview data out of user access. Now indeed after deleting an existing Snapshot from the snapshot panel in AD/Photo-persona the v193 .afpub shrank massively from 38 MB to 78 kB (for the containing 3 shape layers + its document profile).

Whereas the older .afpub (2019) shrinks from 28 MB to 6.2 MB in 2 save-as runs (while it contains 0 layers + its icc-profile of 1,8 MB). Any idea what still is inside? Are  able to you shrink the size closer to its profile size with developer tools? (A new empty v193 afpub with this profile has 1.4 MB only)

1993943144_emptyafpubfilesizeifNoSnapshot.jpg.6667380b53e63e79d14b36a9a9bbffbb.jpg

v408_2_inner_bleed_EMPTY-1blankpg_noSnaps_2.afpub

Yes! Again sorry & thank you! – I should have thought to check this myself before. Now it's fine.

Also, this way I noticed that an image inside a symbol is stored with a preview in full resolution, even if the image is linked (not embedded). It can be used in its initial size even if its missing.

1372564153_symbolimageembedded.thumb.jpg.a2d833a94ea9d66279dab45633ebea43.jpg