You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Affinity Publisher] Hot key zoom out zooms to different page

I'm on a PC and use the zoom hot key keyboard shortcuts. In Affinity Publisher, Zoom in (Spacebar+Ctrl-click) works as expected, but zoom out (Spacebar+Alt-click) zooms to the next page in the document... each time I click I'm taken further down the pages in the document.

Anybody know if this is intended behavior or if there's an issue or something I can change in settings?

Thanks.

In my installation of Publisher, Zoom In is set to Ctrl+= and Zoom Out is set to Ctrl+- (the default settings as far as I know).
I’ve never used the Spacebar+<key>+click shortcuts before trying them just now and they seem to do what you say they do.
However, I have no idea if that’s the way they are supposed to work as the Ctrl+<key> ones seem easier to use to me, and they work while editing text – while the Spacebar shortcuts don’t – and you need fewer fingers to use them.
Having said that, the Zoom Out Spacebar+Alt+click behavior looks wrong to me.

Note: AP is Affinity Photo, not Affinity Publisher (APu).

Thanks for your input @GarryP. I changed AP to Affinity Publisher in my post.

I find the spacebar option for zoom more convenient than the Ctrl+= / Ctrl+- because it allows me to keep my hand on the mouse and quickly zoom without disrupting my workflow.

I'm new to Affinity apps. When I used Adobe apps, I was able to use the spacebar keyboard shortcut to zoom even when editing text. In Adobe, the spacebar doesn't have to be pressed first — pressing the keys in the sequence <key>+Spacebar-click enables zoom while editing text rather than typing a bunch of spaces. This is a feature I really miss in Affinity.

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing it the way that’s best for you; we just use the software differently, and it’s good to have choices.

It’s not usually good forum etiquette to ‘tag’ a staff member, especially if they haven’t joined the thread.
Not only is it a bit like ringing their doorbell unannounced, but different staff members do different jobs at different times and tagging one that’s not doing support at the moment may cause another, who is, to think that the issue is being looked at by the person who’s not looking at it, and therefore they might ignore it.
Best to just wait until a staff member sees the thread – they usually do eventually, but they’re normally very busy.

@GarryP Totally agree... it's good to have choices to accomplish things in the way that's best for each of us.

Thanks for letting me know about tagging staff — I removed it. Someone recommended I tag a staff member in another one of my posts... I'm still learning how things work in here.

If you’re already in a conversation with them on a particular topic then it’s probably okay but it’s usually best to keep that sort of thing for when you have something 'time-sensitive' they have requested from you – e.g. extra information, logs, sample document, etc.

• Staff

Hi @Brian_J,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble here!

On 6/2/2021 at 6:38 PM, Brian_J said:

I'm on a PC and use the zoom hot key keyboard shortcuts. In Affinity Publisher, Zoom in (Spacebar+Ctrl-click) works as expected, but zoom out (Spacebar+Alt-click) zooms to the next page in the document... each time I click I'm taken further down the pages in the document.

Anybody know if this is intended behavior or if there's an issue or something I can change in settings?

I have tested this here on Windows, with the Move Tool selected, I hold down Space to enter the View Tool, then whist holding Space down I also hold down CTRL and left click once - this zooms me in to the page around the cursor point.

I then continue to hold both CTRL and Space. Now I hold down Left Alt as well, so I have 3 modifiers held down and left click once again. My document zooms out around my cursor, as expected.

I appreciate you cannot see me holding down the spacebar, but the OSK shows the CTRL and ALT key being held at the appropriate times in the following recording - 

If you are seeing different behaviour, could you please provide a recording of the issue you're reporting here? Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hey @Dan C,

Thanks for looking into this. I'm experiencing different behavior than your are when zooming out.

I have the Move Tool selected and use the same keys as you...

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

with the Move Tool selected, I hold down Space to enter the View Tool, then whist holding Space down I also hold down CTRL and left click once - this zooms me in to the page around the cursor point.

I then continue to hold both CTRL and Space. Now I hold down Left Alt as well, so I have 3 modifiers held down and left click once again.

Zooming out on page 1 works as expected. Zooming out on any other page (page 2 or after) produces the issue — I'm taken further down in the document rather than zooming at the cursor position. The further down I am in the document when zooming out, the larger the jump — i.e., in my recording you'll see my first click to zoom out on page 3 takes me to page 4; my first click on page 6 takes me to page 8... and each subsequent click takes me further down. 

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks much.

• Staff

Many thanks for your screen recording and further information provided, this is certainly appreciated!

I have been able to replicate this issue here and I have also found it has been logged with our developers as a bug by one of my colleagues, so I will 'bump' this report with your thread now and we hope to have this fixed in a future update :)

I hope this helps and many thanks for your report!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

It doesn't appear this bug has been fixed in 1.10.0. I'm looking forward to this issue being resolved -- when I begin working in one of the Affinity apps, it takes a little time for my muscle memory to acclimate to which app I'm in and if I can or cannot use Spacebar+Alt-click to zoom out.

Just a gentle reminder about this issue in the hopes it can be addressed in a 1.10.x updates. Thanks. 🙂

• Staff

Thanks for letting us know this is still an issue in 1.10 and I'm certainly sorry to hear this.

I can confirm I have 'bumped' the development log and updated it to include this new version number, so hopefully the devs can take action here shortly.

I hope this helps :D

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 5 months later...

Hi @Dan C have the same problem on macOS (Big Sur) with Affinity Publisher 1.10.4 (this Bug also still in the actual Beta 1.10.5.1282 (RC)). Because I use this shortcut my whole career (25 Years) is it hard annoying to zoom out 😜 I do this subconsciously a hundred times a day when i need an overview, that's why would be super grateful if you take care of it. 

I have also tried to customize the shortcut (to disable it for learning the scroll wheel), but these entries that are in the help overview page are not in the program options.

110608211_Bildschirmfoto2022-02-07um15_33_59.jpg.e202925890c212e941578c43e323ec4c.jpg

• Staff
1 hour ago, 3joern said:

Hi @Dan C have the same problem on macOS (Big Sur) with Affinity Publisher 1.10.4 (this Bug also still in the actual Beta 1.10.5.1282 (RC)). Because I use this shortcut my whole career (25 Years) is it hard annoying to zoom out 😜 I do this subconsciously a hundred times a day when i need an overview, that's why would be super grateful if you take care of it. 

I certainly understand the frustration this can cause and I've updated the development log with your report now :)

1 hour ago, 3joern said:

I have also tried to customize the shortcut (to disable it for learning the scroll wheel), but these entries that are in the help overview page are not in the program options.

I can confirm that the helpfile for the application should list all active keyboard shortcuts, however currently when editing Keyboard Shortcuts in the app directly, you're only able to add custom settings to options that appear within the top menus. For example if you open the View menu from the top bar, you'll see all of the options here can have custom keyboard shortcuts applied, and as the shortcuts you've highlighted in the help file don't exist within this menu, you can't set a custom shortcut for these actions.

I'll be sure to pass your feedback through to our team here, to see if this is something we can allow user control over in the future.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...