You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.4.1083

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

• Further performance improvements
  • Fixed hardware acceleration failing to use multiple devices with identical platform IDs (e.g. integrated and discrete from same manufacturer)
  • Fixed hardware acceleration ignoring certain devices that should have been compatible
  • Fixed Astrophotography Stacking failing with no warning
  • Added ability to name Astrophotography Stack images
  • Fixed crash when WMI is disabled
  • Fixed crash loading user-specific PSD
  • Changed line break algorithm to not break after dashes or hyphens if followed by a digit or close-quote
  • Fixed loading of Nikon D780 and Nikon Z6 images (loading black)
  • Fixed crash undoing replace of missing PDF resource
  • Added multiple drop support to OpenAsset file imports
  • Added additional file drag drop options when holding Alt key

Previous release notes

@Mark Ingram

Many thanks for this latest beta release.

However, I have noticed one change, when compared with an earlier beta, when running the Benchmark 1920 test.  (I will also post this to the the pinned thread about Benchmark 1920 if that would be helpful.)

Given the problems that have been encountered with recent releases of AMD Radeon GPU drivers, does this latest beta actually ignore or bypass them?  For a benchmark test run under beta 1.9.2.1005 I see that both my Intel HD 530 and my Radeon R7 360 GPUs are being used; under this latest beta the Radeon GPU is not listed on the benchmark results and the scores are rather lower.  I've copied below a section of both reports:

The earlier beta:

ScreenShot00914a.jpg.5b0650db394268120dad0a33d67a7cbc.jpg

The latest beta:

ScreenShot00952a.jpg.6f9d25181cfb3436e0e49e366bbe58a6.jpg

All ideas/advice very gratefully received.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

6 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

All ideas/advice very gratefully received.

Mark will probably have the best ideas, of course :)

But does the log.txt file in %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta) show anything interesting?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell

Hi Walt,

Many thanks for the idea.  Looking at the "log.txt" file I see that my Radeon GPU has, apparently, gained "Bonaire" as an additional name, so it seems both GPUs are being used, but the latest beta results (as above) are very disappointingly "low" by comparison with the earlier beta results.  😭😭

Jeff

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

I have to say that I'm seeing something odd, too, running benchmark 1920 on 1.9.4.1065 vs 1.9.4.1079, with my Intel UHD and Nvidia 3070:

image.png.b6cb9dbf4f3189ae11c1ec87d387601a.png   image.png.53a3bf9d5bef9dff91804072323b3a70.png

Here's the .1079 log.txt: Log.txt

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@walt.farrell

Thanks for the reassurance that it's not just me!

Did you also see my post in this forum re the non-appearance of Assets in this beta, even if the whole assets.propcol file is copied from the release "user" folder to the beta "user" folder?

Jeff

1 minute ago, emmrecs01 said:

Did you also see my post in this forum re the non-appearance of Assets in this beta, even if the whole assets.propcol file is copied from the release "user" folder to the beta "user" folder?

No, I hadn't seen that one yet.

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, adirusf said:

but I cannot use any more Benchmark. Is this normal?

You have a document open. Try running the benchmark immediately after you start the application.

Edit: Or, close all the open documents, then run it.

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, sb101 said:

does anyone know what the 'additional file drag drop options when holding alt key' are?

If you drag a file onto your canvas it becomes a new layer.

If you drag a file onto your canvas while holding the Alt key, the Place Image panel opens, with the file preloaded in it, and the cursor becomes the Place Image cursor. This allows you to position and size it as you want.

Edit: And if you select multiple files and drag them onto your canvas while holding the Alt key, they all appear in the Place Image panel, and you can Place them individually using the Place Image cursor/tool.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
3 hours ago, adirusf said:

amd 5700 is recognise as „gfx1010:xnach-”

Yes, a slight oversight in this build. It will be more descriptive in the next one

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I can confirm the 1083 build fixes the issue for me

Ditto for me!

@Mark Ingram, many thanks!  👍

• Staff
8 hours ago, aji said:

Is the brush cumulative parameter error forgotten?

no, just not fixed yet

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

The new version fixes the OpenCL issues,

Thanks, Mark. It seems better, but still with some odd numbers on occasion.

For example, this run had

• "Raster (Multi GPU)" slower than "Raster (Single GPU)" and
  • "Combined (Multi GPU)" slower than "Combined (Single GPU)":

image.png.096eabbb7ebf9963902ba7fa32cc2942.png

But this one had the Multi-GPU Raster slightly faster, with the Multi-GPU Combined still slower:

image.png.4580a47ace84aaeee36e5fdfe6b83310.png

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks Affinity for the latest 1083 build.  I have a very modest graphics card - AMD RX550.  Nominally the GPU performance figures from the benchmark are very significantly worse for both the Raster (Single GPU) and Combined (Single GPU) tests (respectively 9x and 6x times worse) ... but the actual performance is greatly improved.  Clearly some big strides have been made with the AMD interface.  It makes me wonder what the benchmark figures were actually telling me before the latest build.

It has been nearly 4 months since you contacted AMD regarding their Slow kernel compilation speed with Radeon 5000 XT (Navi) and possibly 6000 series GPUs and I have not seen any progress on the AMD site in regards to fixing this problem.  Can you elaborate on any AMD discussions to fix this issue and if AMD does not plan to change anything do you plan to continue not supporting future AMD GPUs or are you working on an alternative solution.

Thanks for the new Beta version. I can confirm that Nikon Z6 Raw loads but when develop started its process I had a round vignette. I unchecked all of the Lens checkboxes. The one that released the vignette was "remove lens vignette". The camera and lens is identified correctly in the metadata. I opened a second image and the results were the same. It is minor compared to the Blacked out image. I will now learn to build the develop preferences or new persona. I am new to Affinity Photo but not editing in general. Running on my backup system. 

Win 10 ver 202H  build 19042.985 Intel HD Graphics 530

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz   3.31 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

develop-1.jpg