You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone here have access to the Pantone metallic chips book please?

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

Can you clarify that please, as I was thinking that as the pdf file would contain the Pantone 8363 information that that would do the job.

I am not sure what "job" you mean, but if it is to provide some sort of legal protection of your design, I can only repeat that you should contact the library or a legal professional about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

I am not sure what "job" you mean, but if it is to provide some sort of legal protection of your design, I can only repeat that you should contact the library or a legal professional about that.

The idea is not to gain legal protection. In any case, copyright exists automatically.

The 'job' is that my original design is conserved and available to be printed even though I cannot get it printed with Pantone 8363 at the present time due to me doing my artwork as a hobby on a limited budget. So I am thinking of producing a pdf for conserving the design and a CMYK print for me to frame at home to become part of my art collection, putting a note about the pdf version and The British Library as text in the greeting section of the card.

https://www.bl.uk/legal-deposit

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

29 minutes ago, William Overington said:

reference that legal deposit in the greeting text of the printed CMYK card.

So you will use both "types of gold": as Pantone (in a deposit data file) + as simulation (in a printed sample greeting card)?

I'd assume the glossy look is more important to simulate gold than the exact color hue (green, red). Try a linear gradient for the ambient light.

To simulate a Pantone Metal ink on a flat surface I would not add a specular light. Note in @firstdefence's photo above the specular light occurs where the paper is curved. Pantone metal ink seems to be rather satin than glossy. Compare below ambient (satin) and specular (bit more glossy).

37046993_golddivsimulation.thumb.jpg.8966fa053f834cc099fe20ee586b498d.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

47 minutes ago, William Overington said:

So I am thinking of producing a pdf for conserving the design

Does the digital archive of the British Library in your link accept PDF for upload? – Their website for digital archive ("Publisher Submission Portal", linked from here) is currently down, it shows a maintenance message. The screen in their introduction video seems to offer "EBook" and "EJournal" only, which might be different file formats, possibly not suitable for content with spot colors. Do you have a link to detailed file descriptions for their upload? – Or do you want them to pick up a PDF from your website with their yearly, automatic scanning & collecting crawling procedure?

191269177_Bildschirmfoto2021-06-06um02_09_59.jpg.3b72e7c599704138549f6b979df8f570.jpg

2111391523_Bildschirmfoto2021-06-06um02_02_38.thumb.jpg.8dc3634e22355b543e392eb9443d8229.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 hours ago, thomaso said:

Does the digital archive of the British Library in your link accept PDF for upload? – Their website for digital archive ("Publisher Submission Portal", linked from here) is currently down, it shows a maintenance message. The screen in their introduction video seems to offer "EBook" and "EJournal" only, which might be different file formats, possibly not suitable for content with spot colors. Do you have a link to detailed file descriptions for their upload? – Or do you want them to pick up a PDF from your website with their yearly, automatic scanning & collecting crawling procedure?

> Does the digital archive of the British Library in your link accept PDF for upload?

Yes. I have deposited lots of PDF documents over many years. I do not use the portal. From some years before the legal rules were implemented, The British Library had a voluntary system. That system involved sending a file as an attachment to an email to an email address. The practice that if the sender asked fr a receipt then an email receipt a sent. I have continued to deposit by that method and The British Library sends me a receipt each time. Not an automated receipt, but from a human.

For example I deposited each of the PDF documents of my first novel upon publication.

Here is a link to the novel once I had completed it.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/novel_plus.htm

From June 2016 to February 2019, the period of writing the novel, there was as sort of diary page that was updated each time a chapter was published.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/locse_novel.htm

After I had finished the novel I missed doing it, so there is a sequel being written and published as chapters are completed.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/locse_novel2.htm

The invention in the novel is real.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_research.htm

I have also deposited other file types, including .TTF font files and images.

> – Their website for digital archive ("Publisher Submission Portal", linked from here) is currently down, it shows a maintenance message. The screen in their introduction video seems to offer "EBook" and "EJournal" only, which might be different file formats, possibly not suitable for content with spot colors.

I do not use the portal.

> Do you have a link to detailed file descriptions for their upload?

No.

? – Or do you want them to pick up a PDF from your website with their yearly, automatic scanning & collecting crawling procedure?> 

Well, they do do that, but I send in a file as an email attachment so as to ensure that legal deposit takes place and so that my work is not lost if my website were to become unavailable.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

12 hours ago, anon2 said:

Some people seem to think it looks green when simulated on a display, but it looks a dirty yellow to me.

I have now loaded the file into Microsoft Paint and used the colour picker and it displays as a dark yellow.

1169940989_Pantone8363inPaint.png.cecb5f9eea0d9c9af4f09b3308949eb4.png

William

Bonjour,
Les pantones metallics permettent d'avoir un effet métal pour un cout intéressant.
Il y a effectivement quelque reflets. Parfois on fait une impression sous certaines teintes pour les soutenir, par exemple du jaune sous l'or.
Si vous voulez vraiment un aspect métal, notamment pour l'or, le meilleur choix reste la dorure à  chaud. La couverture est meilleure.
Il existe aujourd'hui une large gamme de couleur.

Hello,
The metallics pantones allow to have a metal effect for an interesting cost.
There are indeed some reflections. Sometimes we print under certain colours to support them, e.g. yellow under gold.
If you really want a metallic look, especially for gold, the best choice is hot foil. The coverage is better.
There is a wide range of colours available today.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

Juste une dernière petite chose, il faut faire attention au pantone choisi, je vois une référence à quatre chiffres.
Et tous les imprimeurs n'utilisent pas forcement ce nuancier.
Il faut savoir que ce sont des couleurs préparées que l'imprimeur doit acheter et la disponibilité (ou la volonté) n'est pas toujours là.
Mieux vaut valider cette question avec l'imprimeur.

Just one more thing, you have to be careful with the pantone you choose, I see a four digit reference.
And not all printers use this colour chart.
You have to know that these are prepared colours that the printer has to buy and the availability (or the will) is not always there.
It is better to discuss this with the printer.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2