You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Corrupt file crashing on (auto) saving. Can the elements be rescued?

Hello everyone,

I am working on a small project for a university course. I tried to make pixel art with Affinity Designer for the first time and up until now everything worked great. The problem I am facing is, that my file got corrupted and is now crashing everytime it gets (auto)saved. Since I create sprite sheets, my document is small (128x128px), but contains a lot of symbols. So I guess they are somewhat at fault. I already tried to copy elements one by one into a fresh document, but certain symbols cause a crash just by being selected :(

I found a post here where a moderator mentioned having a document stored in a cloud service can cause problems. Since my problem started after I opened the file from iCloud with my iPad I guess that was the issue..

Has anyone an idea what I could try to rescue my file or move my progress to a fresh one? Or can a staff member please have a look at my file? Thanks in advance!

Affinity Designer for MacOS was not up to date, but an update to 1.9.3 did not change anything. iPad version is 1.9.2. Crashlog in attachments.

crashlog.html

I have found a workaround. I managed to rescue most of my elements by selecting the parent element and clicking detach in the symbols window. Now elements can be selected without a crash. To prevent a possible corruption of my new project file, I copied the elements in small groups and created a new file "from clipboard". If Designer doesn't crash, I opened my new project file and moved the elements again. I saved the new project, closed it and repeated the process.

In some cases, selecting the symbol and clicking "create symbol" also restored the syncing. This may not be a solution but at least I can continue to work on most of the elements.

Hey stokerg,

yes, I still have a copy, but what I get from another post on here, were a users document was removed quickly, we should not share our projects publicly? I don't really need it to be fixed anymore, but thanks a lot for offering your help! If someone from the dev team wants to find the cause of the problem and prevent future users from running into this bug, I may send it privately.

20 minutes ago, Purrple said:

we should not share our projects publicly?

It's up to the user to determine if their project can/should be shared publicly or not. Some contain sensitive information for one reason or another, and shouldn't be shared here in the forums.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1