You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing highlight colour for selected text.

Hello,
In the "Publisher" application, when you highlight a part of the text to edit it, the default colour is light blue. Sometimes it is not very visible.
Would it be possible to change it?
Thank you in advance.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Publisher - Windows 10

Text highlight color is part of the Layer Properties. You can't see it from my screenshot, but the highlight color is inherited from the Layer Color property:

apu_layer_properties.png.bb73d08ddad35f1fdf46569c2da464cd.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

In other words, you can wrap each text frame into its own sublayer to have custom highlights if you wish.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

36 minutes ago, loukash said:

Layer Properties.

Ah, good point, these (Layer) Layers even color all object selection boxes on page. And also, different to groups, they don't get selected first once you click one of its containing objects. If they only could be global layers!

But maybe @Framon is looking for a more general way, like changing the text highlight color for their entire Windows system:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/133894-change-highlighted-text-color-windows-10-a.html

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

9 minutes ago, thomaso said:

like changing the text highlight color for their entire Windows system

Don't know about Windows, but on Mac the system highlight color doesn't affect Affinity text frame content at all because Affinity uses some kind of proprietary text framework libraries. Only input text fields are being affected by the system highlight. (For the record, I'm using #00FF80)

10 minutes ago, loukash said:

the system highlight color doesn't affect Affinity text frame content at all

Oh, I hadn't tried it before. Sorry!

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thank you all very much.
I am a French speaker and probably, I expressed myself badly in English.
Let me ask you again:
When you select a piece of text with the mouse, it appears highlighted in light blue.
I think that there is no way to change this color within our reach and that it would require an adaptation of the software by the developers.

That highlighting would be controlled by the Operating System not Affinity, it would be a part of the Operating Systems theme.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 6/1/2021 at 11:33 AM, loukash said:

Text highlight color is part of the Layer Properties. You can't see it from my screenshot, but the highlight color is inherited from the Layer Color property:

If I understood correctly the request from the French forum reported by Framon, it is not a question here of adding a highlighting layer, but rather of modifying the highlighting pattern that appears when an object or a fragment of text is selected.

Being able to change the default blue colour could indeed be an important ergonomic advantage in the context of either human or material limitations: chromatic, contrast, or brightness deficiencies. This type of improvement also benefits all other users by allowing a better reading comfort.

This would then be a setting to be found in the Edit/Preferences/User interface menu.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

1 minute ago, Pyanepsion said:

it is not a question here

The name of this forum is "Affinity on Desktop Questions (Mac and Windows)".

"Would it be possible to change it?" was the question here.
It has been answered.

2 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

This would then be a setting to be found in the Edit/Preferences/User interface menu.

Feel free to post a feature request in the appropriate forum.

@loukash. This is not your fault and you have answered very well, but this is not what the original user on the French forum asked.
Here is what he said about Affinity Photo Windows:

When I highlight a line or a word in a text, the highlight is a light blue colour that I can’t see … can I change the colour or contrast?

I’m afraid that’s not possible at the moment, and that would be a good suggestion for improvement indeed.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

1 minute ago, Pyanepsion said:

I’m afraid that’s not possible at the moment, and that would be a good suggestion for improvement indeed.

It is possible, using Layers. It is not possible to set it generally, with a Preference control,  in the Affinity applications. And it is not possible to set it by a system control on Windows, though it is on Mac.

So it is certainly cumbersome on Windows, and only possible system-wide on Mac. And having some kind of Preference in the Affinity applications might be nice.

As an alternative on Windows, I find it interesting that the Affinity applications are affected by the system Color Filter settings, and those may help a user who can't see the blue highlighting. It might be worth an experiment by the user to see if that provides what they need.

However, the Affinity applications are not affected by the Windows High Contrast color settings, which would provide direct control over the color of highlighted text. That seems like a bug, to me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...

Let's not start a sterile discussion, guys.
The question that was asked on the French forum and that I have posted here was able, thanks to the members who answered it, to provide a replacement solution. I am sure that this will satisfy our friend from the French forum.
Admittedly, it is a little more complex than changing a display parameter in the operating system, but it exists and it works. This is what I was looking for and I thank again Loukash and Lagarto (among others) for their clear and precise explanations which are perfect for me.
Now I just have to convince our member who is still having a little trouble putting it all into practice for the moment... :14_relaxed: