You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

14 hours ago, jackwhit said:

Yes. Big Daddy Roth was a big inspiration to me as a kid. West Coast Hot Rod pop culture was huge in the 60s. I didn't mention his name in my post because I assumed most people here on this forum would be too young to know who he is. 

Oh, don't assume age here! Some of us remember the first Sputnik going up ... and round and round.

Though I had not known of Ed Roth, but I am in England so maybe that explains it.

Thank you for explaining the process by which you got to your final result and for including the intermediate stages.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

On 6/1/2021 at 7:46 PM, jackwhit said:

Yes. Big Daddy Roth was a big inspiration to me as a kid. West Coast Hot Rod pop culture was huge in the 60s. I didn't mention his name in my post because I assumed most people here on this forum would be too young to know who he is. 

Really liked his "style" and you captured it well. There was a series on the History Channel called "Big Easy Motors" out of my home town of New Orleans, LA. They found and restored one of his trikes. Sometimes it looks like his creativity was almost boundless!

Age: Lots of the folks here are like me . . . we are older than we act. Personally, if I make it a couple more months, I'll be 64 years old. The best part of that is . . . as a street racer in the late 1970's, I got to own a couple of real vehicles he based his drawings on. Not ones owned by him, but the "models" . . . I drove too fast, took too many chances but was fortunate to never have an accident.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:46 PM, jackwhit said:

Well, it's my firm belief that EVERYONE should know who Big Daddy is/was. Love your work. Both a great tribute to BD and carrying on the style. Well done. I had a chance to work on a project with Ed back in 2000, but the "powers that be" said they didn't want to compromise the integrity of the product. Short-sightedness leads to some of the most ill-informed and foolish decisions. I had a nice back and forth with Ed via email and he was funny, approachable and cool. If he was that great via email, I can only imagine how cool it would have been to meet him.

Keep up the Big Daddy / Hot Rod spirit!