You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

About Assets Manager - does adding loads of textures here slow down the Affinity Designer

Hi I was thinking of adding lots of high resolution textures to the assets manager but then thought would this slow down the whole software having to load all these big files, is it not recommended to do this? can anyone advise.

Cheers

Phil

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

All the Assets are stored in a single file, assets.propcol, which can grow very big if you do that. And with everything in a single file like that, if there is an error writing to the file when you're adding a new Asset, the entire file will be corrupted, and you'll have to start over adding them again. So make sure you have good backups of the items you put into the Assets panel, and good backups of the assets.propcol file.

And yes, it will impact performance. But no one that I know of has ever measured how big an effect on performance it has.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Chillr2021 said:

Hi I was thinking of adding lots of high-resolution textures to the assets manager

If they are small high-res textures that you use in a repeating pattern to create a larger pattern that's probably OK

But if they are large (e.g. page size) high-resolution textures, don't do it!

1 hour ago, Chillr2021 said:

Hi I was thinking of adding lots

How many is a lot nowadays?

50, 500, 5000, 50000

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

16 minutes ago, carl123 said:

But if they are large (e.g. page size) high-resolution textures, don't do it!

It can work, and is supported. Some of the texture content you can purchase from the Affinity Store is delivered as Assets, and can be automatically installed :)

But yes, the assets.propcol file gets big. I think mine are several GB in size.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

My "don't do it!" is based on user reports of losing all assets due to a corrupted assets.propcol file, the failure of some users to backup their assets.propcol file, program initial load time with a large assets file, and performance issues re the same on less-than-optimal PC configurations.

I deleted all the free asset textures Serif recently supplied as assets (and jpg files) and just downloaded the jpg files instead

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

As long as you have the appropriate backups it might be worth an experiment :)

But for the most part, keeping individual JPG/PNG/TIFF image files in a well-organized file system and using File > Place rather than the Assets panel may be less work, and less disk space, overall.

-- Walt
PC:

Personally, I mostly use Assets just for simple things that I can organize into categories & subcategories in some way that makes them quicker & easier to access than if they were saved in individual files.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7