Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Affinity für Linux?

16 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Gnome 4 was released less than a year ago. Gnome 3 was inflicted on its users for about 10 years. Everything I wrote has been true for >20 years with Linux.

Most of the issues with Gnome were ironed out by 2015. Gnome 4 basically took that, and switched it from a vertical layout to a more standardized horizontal one.

19 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Yes, the Linux way: copy what somebody else has done. 

Yeah, let's not let this devolve into some internet style platform war BS, huh?

20 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Exactly as I wrote above, the Linux desktop is merely acceptable within limits. If you don't need MS Office and you don't need Adobe and you don't need (any of thousands of apps which only run on Windows or macOS) you can get by with Linux. 

Like I said, it works for me.

I don't recommend Linux to everyone. If your primary concerns are 2D graphic design, it'd be better to stick with Windows and Macs, yeah.

21 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Er, Affinity? I think I have just proven the falseness of your statement.

Considering I admitted to such just below, that's not much of a revelation. The Affinity programs are my one big exception.

3 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Exactly as I wrote above, the Linux desktop is merely acceptable within limits. If you don't need MS Office and you don't need Adobe and you don't need (any of thousands of apps which only run on Windows or macOS) you can get by with Linux.

Linux desktop becomes downright awesome when you pair it with a well tuned VM, because the limitations to it's use disappear.

I have been using Windows 7 in a VM ( within Windows 10 ) for the last 7 years. Moving my windows workflow to linux was a matter of copying and pasting a large .vdi file.
I have been gradually been giving the Windows VM less and less screen space as i continue to find excellent alternatives to Windows software. The real time sink is exploring the open source & commercial software available in Linux land. The surprise factor is that some of the free Linux software is actually pretty damn good ( Blender being the best example i can think of )

Using Linux makes me love computing again. it is a refreshing experience that reminds me of using early MacOS and Windows 2000 - lithe, powerful, and not restricting of the user's freedom and constantly nagging them. An ideal OS for the power user of today.

It is awesome that the VM software of today allows us to use Windows software as a temporary bridge without any serious limitations. The VM software of today is incredibly advanced and refined at this point. I have been using Virtualbox ( free ) for ages, and only until i encountered Affinity Designer, did i have a 'Windows VM' problem. 

Of course i would prefer to use a native Linux version of Affinity Designer; and to finally burn that bridge to Windows land.

5 minutes ago, neptronix said:

Linux desktop becomes downright awesome when you pair it with a well tuned VM, because the limitations to it's use disappear.

The limitations do not disappear. You are deliberately working round the limitations by installing another operating system. 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:55 AM, neptronix said:

Hm.. on what pages does VMware say this?

It says that here: https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player.html in the Overview, near the bottom of the page. 1666368969_2022-01-2111_53.35www.vmware.coma1d1d0b52cd9.png.94d93c745b07f0219bb520cff3f6966b.png

I read through the links you posted. Thank you. I am sure VM providers everywhere are working on making options available for all - takes time. This is not the path I will be taking, though, hopefully, all this discussion will help others reading through this thread who clearly adore their Affinity and adore their Linux, but are lamenting having to make tough decisions.😉

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 9:32 AM, HomeofficeDad said:

I use Affinity Designer and Photo on a Mac currently but I would love a Linux port. There are only very few things left that keep me using Mac.

There are several approach to one code base for multiple OS - one is Sass in cloud compile to WASM and run in broswer thanks to - https://emscripten.org/
In that way compile are many application include LibreOffice - https://www.theregister.com/2022/02/19/webassembly_port_libreoffice/

The another approach is use SWIFT language On Linux and Windows:
https://www.swift.org/getting-started/#on-linux 

This is simple guide how to code on Swift.

On 3/13/2022 at 5:35 PM, LondonSquirrel said:

Aha. A simple guide. That is all that is needed to code an app the size and complexity of Affinity Publisher. Just 100 seconds of Swift.

Yes - Solution 2 is the hard way - the developers of Affinity Product have some knowledge of coding principle so this is not issue.

Solution 1 it's easier - the use of change compile target to WASM with https://emscripten.org - and run on browser in native speed. This tool is to  c̶o̶d̶e̶  compile an app the size and complexity beyond Affinity product.  

• 2 months later...

I also see Affinity Designer on WINE to be a very happy middle ground if tested and indirectly (not officially is even fine as long as they do it in the backroom and don't tell anyone in order to prevent support requests and complaints of bugs) supported and made to work. I think a lot of people would be more than fine with this path. I know far too many people who have some more limited machines that are working wonderfully with Linux, but find it a burden and sometimes impossible to deal with or live with Windows that would like to use Linux to work with the Affinity line of software products. I use a Mac and it's fantastic, but a lot of people are frustrated with Apple abandoning older (and very powerful) systems who are moving to Linux since they cannot at all tolerate Windows.

Serif, please see this highly voted item: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=39311

And please dedicate a silent NDA bound developer to the WINE cause.