You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So I got Affinity apps on my main PC. I bought them and I did use a licence keys and i did log in in this apps.

I do have a gf's PC and when I visit her I do work sometimes. I have the trial versions there, but its gonna end next week. Can I use this keys on her PC, cuz I did try once and the keys were invalid.

Do I have to log out from my PC and then use this codes there? And do I have to log out every time I change PC, right?

Is it even legal?

😎

You can use on an unlimited number of computers as long as it is your computer for your work. I am not sure of the legality with putting it on your gf's computer for your own use there. I am sure someone else will chime in with a more accurate answer. Short and easy you can use your license key on another computer with no issue. It not being your computer but for your use I am unsure about.

13 minutes ago, darwinwasright said:

Is it even legal?

No, not unless you marry your girlfriend

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

11 minutes ago, wonderings said:

You can use on an unlimited number of computers as long as it is your computer for your work. I am not sure of the legality with putting it on your gf's computer for your own use there. I am sure someone else will chime in with a more accurate answer. Short and easy you can use your license key on another computer with no issue. It not being your computer but for your use I am unsure about.

But, do I have to logout from my PC to make the keys valid for another PC?

😎

Just now, darwinwasright said:

But the keys didn't work.

If they were retail keys (not trial), and you entered them properly, with the proper email address, they should have.

But why does it matter, since it's not legal for you to use your keys on someone else's computer?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If they were retail keys (not trial), and you entered them properly, with the proper email address, they should have.

But why does it matter, since it's not legal for you to use your keys on someone else's computer?

I'm really interested in a legal way to use everything I have. It says "pcs u control". Well, when I use apps on her PC I do control the PC. 🤔 So its kinda legal, isn't it? And its not a random person to me.

ss.png

😎

1 hour ago, darwinwasright said:

I'm really interested in a legal way to use everything I have. It says "pcs u control". Well, when I use apps on her PC I do control the PC.

You should look at the official wording, which says "which you own or control".

Personally, the "or control" has always seemed like a bit of a gray area to me. But I don't think that "I'm using it right now, so I control it" is a reasonable interpretation. To me, that is more for the situation of "I'm using a PC owned by my employer, but my Windows account has Administrator authority which allows me to install software on it."

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You should look at the official wording, which says "which you own or control".

Personally, the "or control" has always seemed like a bit of a gray area to me. But I don't think that "I'm using it right now, so I control it" is a reasonable interpretation. To me, that is more for the situation of "I'm using a PC owned by my employer, but my Windows account has Administrator authority which allows me to install software on it."

I hope some Affinity guy will give a clear answer.

😎

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Personally, the "or control" has always seemed like a bit of a gray area to me.

I used to think the same. (See below.)

But I don't think that "I'm using it right now, so I control it" is a reasonable interpretation.

For what little it’s worth, I completely agree.

To me, that is more for the situation of "I'm using a PC owned by my employer, but my Windows account has Administrator authority which allows me to install software on it."

That was my interpretation too, back in the day, but subsequent discussion led me to understand that a PC owned by one’s employer is also controlled by the employer, and that the “owned or controlled” wording is intended to cover leased computers (where the user isn’t the owner but has full control over the software installed on them).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have always assumed that "control" means that someone has exclusive control of what software can be installed on the device. This is the only way I can think of any person could be held legally accountable for complying with the licensing requirements -- otherwise they could use their credentials to install the app on any device, even if they never intended on using it on that device, & still not violate the licensing terms.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7