You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector "Erase" effect on layers: possible yet, or any other strategy?

@evtonic3. It's not about help for this file. It's about things not really behaving as one might expect (for example, this discrepancy between .eps and .svg output). I'm new to AD, and vector graphics in general, so I'm learning by trial and error.

In parallel to this issue, I needed to produce an .svg that could be useable as a web graphic. It seems the complexity of the grunge effect (even when all layers were "flattened" into one vector layer) was such that this would be impossible. I couldn't get the file size below 1.5MB, which is useless for web use.

So I had to bite the bullet and rasterise one layer: the grunge layer.

For print uses, I'll use the original file, but won't need .svg. EPS, or .ai will be what I use, and the export works fine in these formats. 

So not so much problem solved, as avoided.

One thing I do learn: No grunge effects in vector graphics!! Ever!

I only meant that you are learning of new things that didn't already know...

It has been a great learning process in what is fabulous software. Illustrator is prohibitively complicated, I find. As someone more used to Photoshop. AD is a great bridge, and I'm sure soon will be a total solution that will replace Ai altogether.