You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tattoos for Men 113 / Tattoos for Women 121 Magazine

dannyg9

At the printer now and soon to be released digitally as well. As I've posted previously, created entirely in the Affinity universe. Still learning new bits with Publisher and that's usually a "when the need arises" kind of situation. I can't imagine going back to adobe. . . EVER! A note on the covers: these are alternates. What is being created by a 3rd party for what can only be described as misguided ego gratification, are a far cry from the high standards I hold myself to. Technically, they are an embarrassment and the flaws are blatant. In that regard, I present what WOULD have been the covers prior to design upheaval.

Tat4Men113CoverDupe.png

TatMen113LangeSpread_1.png

TatMen113TorikashviliSpread_1.png

TatMen113Ramirez_1.png

TatMen113Groth_1.png

Tat4Women121CoverDupe.png

TatWomen121SourSpread1_1.png

TatWomen121SourSpread2_1.png

TatWomen121GezlevSpread_1.png

TatWomen121Grimm_1.png

23 hours ago, MikeW said:

Nice work again, Danny!

Thanks Mike. Always nice to hear your thoughts. Very happy to see that you're surviving during this period of time. After the shake-up at Quark and their business model change, I dove further into the Affinity suite of products and haven't had anything that's presented a major problem. As Affinity continues to add features, the programs are coming up to speed with adobe. Not sure if you've put Publisher into a print workflow but it's interesting that one of the offset printers I deal with was unaware of Affinity Publisher and asked what program I had created the PDF files in. Their website has downloadable file presets for adobe, Quark and I think Corel but nothing for Affinity as of yet.

56 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

... Very happy to see that you're surviving during this period of time. ...

Survive? Well, I'm still alive anyway 🙂. I'm down to a single hospital and two book publishers and get the odd novel for a person doing a POD book once in a while. The slowdown has been rough for the ledger sheet but good for my health.

... After the shake-up at Quark and their business model change ...

There's been another shake-up. The putz known as the CEO was fired and an actual human being hired as his replacement. How far the new CEO will reverse/change things is yet to be determined, though he is listening and restoring certain things during his first month.

... As Affinity continues to add features, the programs are coming up to speed with adobe. ...

Here we would vastly disagree. Perhaps in another year or five that statement may be more relatively true. But they are not for what I do and I'll likely be fully retired by the time they are a replacement for Q/ID.

1 hour ago, dannyg9 said:

... Not sure if you've put Publisher into a print workflow ...

Every once in a while I'll do something from start to print. But it's more to stay up with APub than attempting true day-to-day productivity.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Survive? Well, I'm still alive anyway 🙂. I'm down to a single hospital and two book publishers and get the odd novel for a person doing a POD book once in a while. The slowdown has been rough for the ledger sheet but good for my health.

There's been another shake-up. The putz known as the CEO was fired and an actual human being hired as his replacement. How far the new CEO will reverse/change things is yet to be determined, though he is listening and restoring certain things during his first month.

Here we would vastly disagree. Perhaps in another year or five that statement may be more relatively true. But they are not for what I do and I'll likely be fully retired by the time they are a replacement for Q/ID.

Every once in a while I'll do something from start to print. But it's more to stay up with APub than attempting true day-to-day productivity.

Yeah, survive was kind of a relative term. Many of my freelance clients resurfaced in the past month or two but is has been slim for the past year. You have a point in regards to the feature-to-feature part of APub coming up to speed with ID. That said, for my needs it's a 100% replacement with only VERY MINOR workarounds (spanning columns - I do as I did prior to ID adding that feature. . . zounds! A separate text box!). Interesting about Quark. After the initial shake-up I basically wrote them off and didn't pay attention. Hopefully they'll wise up.

For much/most of what I've been doing the past 5 years, there are only 2 main features I'm missing. They may well never be added.

Other aspects of what I do, such as mag ad work can be done in anything. So a few of those I'll do in AD in the course of a year. Every once in a while I'll concurrently try a book in APub but have never used it for final work. Takes too much time. 

18 hours ago, MikeW said:

For much/most of what I've been doing the past 5 years, there are only 2 main features I'm missing. They may well never be added.

Other aspects of what I do, such as mag ad work can be done in anything. So a few of those I'll do in AD in the course of a year. Every once in a while I'll concurrently try a book in APub but have never used it for final work. Takes too much time. 

Understandable. In my timeline (Quark - ID - Quark - Affinity Pub) I've had to rebuild templates and, in the case of magazines, build from the ground up again (I've found it saves time troubleshooting problems that could be lurking in the conversion process). That said, I have converted single page and two page documents without having to rebuild and only encountered very minor and solvable problems. Like you, if a client calls for ID or Quark, I can simply dip into those programs. As I understand, book production is an animal unto itself so it seems you need as stable and full featured a program that you're used to to achieve the end product.

10 hours ago, Ren De said:

Hi Danny9, these are inspiring! 
A huge amount of work …nice to see more of the possibilities of Affinity tools (wielded by a skilled designer / artist).

I am humbled Ren. Thank you so much. Affinity programs just keep getting better.