You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Magic wand crashes regularly

The German Affinity Photo 1.9.4.1065 (and the last non-beta version 1.9.2.1035) for Windows very often crashes (50% of all cases) if I do the following (see attached video):

1. Visit a web page containing an image and put a screenshot on the clipboard (0:00-0:04).
  2. Switch to Affinity Photo and create a new image from the clipboard (0:04-0:11).
  3. Crop the image and rasterise it (0:11-0:30). So far, so good.
  4. Now, in order to make the background transparent, use the magic wand, press the mouse button over a white area and move the mouse in order to adjust the tolerance. This works for a few tolerance settings, but at some point (0:44), the application stops responding and has to be killed manually.
  5. For some pictures, this happens during the first second of mouse moving. For others (like shown), it takes a lot of fiddling to get a crash. For only around 50% of all images, everything works properly.
  6. This problem does not happen when I manually set the tolerance to a certain value and then just click (not drag) inside an area. Only the dragging produces crashes.
  7. This problem does not happen if I load an image from disk. Only images copied from the clipboard produce regular crashes.

As far as I remember, this problem first appeared in version 1.9.2. In 1.9.0, everything was correct (I think).

Andreas Weidner

• Staff

Hey anweid,

Thanks for the fantastic bug report. I followed this a number of times but I'm afraid I cannot reproduce it. The fans on my machine go nuts and my CPU hits 100% but it doesn't crash.

Are you able to provide some basic PC specs so we can attempt to reproduce on a similarly specced machine?

Do you get a crash report?

Affinity Store version - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Microsoft Store version - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports\reports

Beta - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports

You can acccess the AppData folder by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard and then just type %AppData%

1374338762_Screenshot2021-05-27220003.png.b97633eff05b681cc409370159229a7f.png1374338762_Screenshot2021-05-27220003.png.b97633eff05b681cc409370159229a7f.pngHello,

I have a similar problem. The selection still works for me. But if I then apply the blur filter, for example, the programme crashes in over 50% of the cases. 
The CrashReports folder is empty. But I saw in Taskmanager, that Affinity create a bugreport.

Best Regards,
Heiko M.

This is what Windows tells me about my two computers (one at home, one at work). The i5 with 8GB crashes often (50%?), the i7 with 16GB less often (10%?). The i5 mentions pen support: This is because I installed a graphics tablet a year ago, which is not connected to that machine since several months, so I only use the mouse exclusively.

Andreas Weidner

pcinfo.png

pcinfo2.png

I forgot to add: No crash reports are available.

Buuuuuut: At least I now found a picture that reliably crashes even after saving to disk and opening it again:

• By coincidence, I created a screenshot while a second monitor (4k) was attached, which resulted in the attached (stupid) image.
  • Saving, reloading, not cropping, not rasterising, but directly dragging the magic wand across one of the white areas very quickly produces a crash (only tested on the i5 machine).

Andreas Weidner

culprit.png

@anweid If you want to post samples that are crashing the application, then I would zip them, because the forum software changes them during upload (except formats which are not common web formats).

Edit: Maybe I am doing something wrong, but with all your images I am not able to crash the application.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Same here, no crash, but as mentionned above you should zip the file before attaching it to your post.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

What we meant is to zip the JPG file (or Affinity file) that you use and get the crash so we can test it.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

50 minutes ago, AlainP said:

What we meant is to zip the JPG file (or Affinity file) that you use and get the crash so we can test it.

Affinity files are already zip archives, so further zipping shouldn’t be necessary. There is only an issue with image file formats which are commonly used on the Internet.

22 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

the forum software changes them during upload (except formats which are not common web formats)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

47 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Affinity files are already zip archives,

?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

58 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Affinity files are already zip archives,

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

?

My apologies, Walt. It was my understanding from a discussion way back that (like the most recent document formats of the legacy ‘Plus’ applications) the Affinity format is a collection of XML and other files in zip format. I’ve just tried to unzip a *.afphoto file, and you probably won’t be hugely surprised to learn that my attempt failed.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello,

can we please focus on the real problem again?
There are several problems here:
1) When using the Gaussian Blur filter, it can happen that the selection turns white.
2) When using the Gaussian Blur filter, Affinity Photo may crash.
3) Despite the crash and the crash handler, no reports are saved in the corresponding folder.
4) When using other filters, Affinity Photo may crash.

This is very frustrating. My system is up to date, all updates are installed.

In the zip file is my photo file with the selection.

20210509_104152.zip

Thank you for providing the file. I've tried replicating your issues and could not.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I can't replicate your exact issue, but here is what I found. This is with the Beta and release versions.

Using the normal Gaussian Blur filter from the top "Filters" menu works fine all the time. Reversing pixel selections (Ctrl - Shift - I) or from the top menu does work.

Using the "Live" version of the Gaussian Blur works only on the main selection, the motorcycle. The only way to reverse the pixel selection is to delete the Liver Filter, change the selection and then create another Live Filter. There is no way to cycle throught the two selection without deleting the filter, changing the selection and creating another Live Filter.

All this with or without OpenCL. Using the Liver version makes the fan louder, which I think is normal. 

But I never got a crash.

-- Macbook Air 15"

It will probably be something with the hardware / software driver combination. If Affinity Photo would at least create a crash report, I think that would be more helpful.
But there seems to be another bug.
If the "crashpad_handler" is active, but no report is filed, although the message "Program not responding" is displayed.

Hello @anweid

I look for similar problems in the forum and find this solution from @Komatös in the post "Affinity Photo 1.9.2 frequently crashing on Windows 10":

Try with deactivated hardware acceleration (OpenCL-acceleration) in APhoto. Preferences --> Performance.

At the moment, it looks like this has fixed the problem.

Good luck...

Thanks @Joachim_L and @HeikoM81:

• Zipping common web formats to prevent the forum changing these files is a good idea, but was not necessary in this case: I got reliable crashes on all images downloaded from this forum thread – even the ones containing only device specifications or the very small crashpad handler screenshots.
  • The crashes appeared when hardware acceleration was switched on (see attached screenshot).
  • After switching the acceleration off, I could not recreate the crashes anymore. Wonderful!
  • After switching the acceleration on again, I could also not recreate the crashes anymore. Though that's nice, it's got me confused now. Let's hope that the crashes don't reappear in the future...

Andreas Weidner

acceleration.png

8 hours ago, anweid said:

Though that's nice, it's got me confused now.

This confuses me too, because I have the same graphics card and no crashes. Current version for me is 27.20.100.9466.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.