You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pages Panel: "middle" size Icons way to big

I'm not sure by which parameters the scale is calculated in the pages panel, but In my case, the difference between small, medium and big is not very balanced.

I'm happy to have a "very" small icon view plus labels, but for most projects (4 to 16 pages) I could use a little bit more detail. And the "middle" size is way to big and not very different from the "big" one...

I would need a size between small and middle, but really more at the side of small. just two times bigger and keep the labels.

1326933619_Bildschirmfoto2021-05-26um19_28_48.png.deb19135ab0df5e611497a97898a87be.png

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Maybe it's a bug, because I have only tried this on my non-retina displays:
Has anyone tried this on a 4k or 5k Monitor?

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);

• Staff
7 minutes ago, woefi said:

Has anyone tried this on a 4k or 5k Monitor?

The following are screenshots from a 27" Retina 5K iMac;

Page Preview sizes.jpg

16 hours ago, woefi said:

I'm happy to have a "very" small icon view plus labels, but for most projects (4 to 16 pages) I could use a little bit more detail. And the "middle" size is way to big and not very different from the "big" one...

I would need a size between small and middle, but really more at the side of small. just two times bigger and keep the labels.

I'll be sure to pass on your feedback to our developers :D

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Well thank you and now I can see:
when I view your @2x screenshot as 50% it roughly matches with my fresh document (A4, spreads) at middle sized icons.

looks consistent – but:

But If I uncheck "facing pages" on the same document, It recalculates the scale to a much bigger size.
And this is also the case in my 1920x5000pixel screen design example. It is way too big for a "middle" size icon. 

I would recommend for the programmers to take a look at the algorithm so that the middle size becomes smaller and more useful.
(as you can see in your screenshot the big size is already nearly at similar size...)

Another idea: separate sizes for master pages and normal pages.
These really do not have to be the same...

41618768_Bildschirmfoto2021-05-27um13_54_26.png.fb0b0294595b20a2fb29f4b1ed51329a.png1113993441_Bildschirmfoto2021-05-27um14_11_41.png.7b7c070c13a3345f35a4b6e588fcd7ec.png 

I kind of like the size of the medium icons but it depends on your page size. You're using a very tall page. Mine is tall, too (5x10") but with facing pages on it's really 10x10 so the icons are square and at a size large enough to recognize the pages. I wouldn't want it much smaller. But I can see your point, if you're not using facing pages and are using a tall and narrow layout then you're going to have big icons.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

8 hours ago, MikeTO said:

if you're not using facing pages and are using a tall and narrow layout then you're going to have big icons

Well, part of my request would be to at least make the size consistent between single and facing pages.

And being able to choose separately the icon sizes of either "master" or "normal pages" would also be a big improvement.