You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremly poor performing files

Hi there!

I 've been enjoying »publisher« for mounth – now I am struggling with extremly poor performing files.

To lower the concequences in terms of data loss, I use to copy my files and rename them from time to time.
And yes, there are linked pictures & pdf files included (for example approx. 30 items with 50 MB in total – from different location on the local hard drive).

Now, it is not more possible to open selected files, neither erase linked pictures, pages nor export the file as a pdf-file.
Publisher does not take any command at the named example file, hangs, or crashes.

Is there any chance to figure out how to solve this problem with this specific files?

Thank you very much!

The latest 1.9.4 beta is focused on performance, so it might be worth testing that document with the current beta. There are a number of issues fixed in it, so it is quite possible that the issue affecting your performance has been addressed. The beta is free, and it would be installed alongside your existing install, so you can try it out without harming your released version of Publisher. You can find the beta here:

Thanks, garrettm30!

This does not solve the problem, because I don't know »Publishers« problem with some of my files,
but I was able to export and safe a pdf with the beta. Thanks for this!

With this problem unsolved in mind, I am worried about relying my daily work on publisher.

Did someone else have a similar problem and found a way to deal with it?
What could cause this lagging files? Broken links to ressouces? Specific kind of ressource format?
Could copy&paste of graphics out of Indesign cause this problems?
Are broken links on master pages even worser than on standard pages?

15 hours ago, fdieter said:

To lower the concequences in terms of data loss, I use to copy my files and rename them from time to time.

A File > Save as... to a new file name (versioning) would be better than copying the file as copying won't get rid of redundant data, like File > Save as... does

15 hours ago, fdieter said:

Now, it is not more possible to open selected files, neither erase linked pictures, pages

Can you upload a sample, problem, file and its resources?

E.g. Use the File > Save as Package command, ZIP the results and upload the Zip file

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Adapting routines is a good hint, thanks carl123.
Copy&Paste files in Finder did work well with Indesign for over one decade. If it helps Publisher to use the menu File > Save as… I will go for this instead.

The problem with this lagging files occoured in my two last professional projects, which I am unfortunately not allowed to share.

Do you have a guess, which other routines (besides perhaps File > Save as… ) could prevent this issue?
(See questions of my last post)

1 minute ago, fdieter said:

Do you have a guess, which other routines (besides perhaps File > Save as… ) could prevent this issue?

Without seeing the file, it is just a guessing game

2 minutes ago, fdieter said:

which I am unfortunately not allowed to share

You can send directly to the Affinity support staff if that would be acceptable

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

... unfortunately I cannot share these files with Serif / Affinity Support, too.

But I guess, that publisher does well with one kind of routine but struggles with others.
So for example copying and renaming files …
Are there others?