You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grid gutter decimal places limited to 3

Hi everyone,

I set up a custom grid with the spacing set to a value with 6 decimal places.

My problem is, that I can't have the same precision of 6 decimal places for the gutter parameter, which is limited to 3 decimal places.

For my custom grid to work properly I need at least 4 decimal places.

Now I'm not sure, if this is a bug or if that is an intentional restiction, but it's confusing because it renders the precision of the spaceing useless if the gutter can't match it.

I created a screenshot to show the problem.

I made sure that in settings > user interface > decimal places for unit types: is set to 6 for every unit type

I typed the value 0,123456789 in both flieds (spacing and gutter).

In spacing it was correctly rounded to 0,123457

In gutter it was only rounded to 0,123

1497739329_Bildschirmfoto2021-05-26um11_00_06.thumb.png.0a1bd9e21cc6593bde32e26ff19bcec8.png

It would be very helpful if the gutter decimal places could be extended to 6.

Thank you

Luca

Tested with
Affinity Publisher 1.9.2
Affinity Publisher 1.9.4 (1076)

on

macOS 11.4
MacBook Pro (15 Zoll, 2019)

• Staff

0,123456789 displayed to 3 decimal places is 0,123 so it is already correctly showing the number you have typed.

The value is STORED for both fields is 0,123456789 so there is very little problem here other than you wanting to know it has stored it as you typed it. 

We can request that this field is displayed to the same number of decimal places, but rest assured it is storing and acting on the value you typed.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi @Patrick Connor,

thanks for the quick reply, you are right, the value is correctly stored. What must have confused me is the rendering of the grid.

I attached a video to show the grid rendering confusion.

In the beginning the gutter is set to 0, then I paste the exact location of my object and then the rendering of the grid makes it seem like there is a rounding error, because the lines don't align, but then I discovered if I play around with the decimal place numbers the rendering of the grid is not correct or precise enough.

• 2 years later...

I am late to the discussion...

I also experience a discrepancy between the gutter value that is supposedly stored, and the actual rendered result of the gutter.

I see that video as a clear illustration of the problem. Thank you, @Luca H, for providing it.

@Patrick Connor, did you see the video? Do you see a discrepancy?

• Staff
On 5/26/2021 at 10:27 AM, Luca H said:

I made sure that in settings > user interface > decimal places for unit types: is set to 6 for every unit type

I typed the value 0,123456789 in both flieds (spacing and gutter).

In spacing it was correctly rounded to 0,123457

In gutter it was only rounded to 0,123

Hi @Luca H
The bug here is that the Gutter field is ignoring the Decimal Places for Unit Types setting and will always display to 3 decimal points. I have reported this to the dev team.

In regard to the issue in your video, could you provide a copy of the file so I can take a closer look please.