You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SVG import issue - <symbol> / <use> tags, size ignored

Hi,

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug or a feature request but when I import an SVG file that uses <symbol> tags Affinity seems to ignore the width and height attributes of each <use> element so all instances of the symbol are imported at the wrong size. At least with the file I'm trying to work with.

I've attached an example here where you can see what's happening. Not only are the icons too big, they're all the same size (e.g. some mountain icons should be smaller than others.) The positioning seems to be off as well but I have a hard time telling if that's not just because of the size/transformation anchor point.

example.jpg.21a6987fb53d9283e0a01c2383dcfeac.jpg

Does anyone know of a quick fix for this? Can I reformat this SVG so that Affinity can read it properly?

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. It would be an absolute joy if Affinity could import the symbols in an SVG file as Affinity symbols for easy editing.

Roryia 2021-05-25-13-08 (imported into Affinity).afdesign Roryia 2021-05-25-13-08.svg

36 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

@mark-h If you do not need the ocean ... here you go

For completeness, the ocean as a separate file.

Roryia-no-ocean.afdesign

Roryia-only-ocean.afdesign 2.25 MB · 0 downloads

Hi. Thank you for this. This was just a sample map so I don't need the files. It's the 'how' I'm more interested in. How were able to get everything the right scale?

1 minute ago, mark-h said:

This was just a sample map so I don't need the files.

All the efforts for nothing ... 😭

This is not a viable workaround, but good to know when everything else fails.

a) Open the SVG in Chrome and then print. Use save as PDF option and test if it works for you.

b) The water was not showing correctly in AD, so I removed the ocean with Chrome's inspect feature and saved / printed the remaining SVG again as PDF.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 minute ago, Joachim_L said:

All the efforts for nothing ... 😭

This is not a viable workaround, but good to know when everything else fails.

a) Open the SVG in Chrome and then print. Use save as PDF option and test if it works for you.

Ah, dang. This is exactly what already I did for the project I'm working on just now 😅. Well hopefully a simpler solution will present itself soon. 

For this specific case I have found a less cumbersome work-around. Inkscape and Adobe Ilustrator weren't showing the symbols at all but if I do a find every instance of <use href and replace it with <use xlink:href in the SVG file then they display in those apps fine. I've yet to find a solution the szie being ignored in Affinity but at least now I can do away with the PDF method and all the icons will stay in their own groups.