You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with some fonts when exporting

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

I'm using Affinity Publisher since march 2020, my actual version 1.9.2.1035, and windows 10.

My problem is when I export a Publisher file to a pdf. Some words appear in the pdf as a symbols, not as a word.

To overcome this problem, until now I was not exporting to a pdf, but printing to a pdf. In this case there is no problem, but the quality of the images are not the same. That's why I would like you to help me to find a solution. 

I'm sending you the Publisher file and the pdf version. If you compare both you will see the problem. All the problems are highlighted in yellow. 

I don't know if there is a problem of the font I'm using or anywhere else. 

Affinity test.afpub Affinity test.pdf

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Ruisu40!

Maybe you could avoid this problem with unchecking Subset fonts. You'll find this option when clicking on the More button in the export dialogue.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hello, Ruisu40.

There are 2 missing family fonts in the document (see Document/Font Manager). Helvetica Neue Interface and Palatino do not seem to be original fonts. The correct font for Palatino is Palatino Linotype which is free on the Microsoft website. Helvetica is priced at €54 by its manufacturer Linotype Gmbh.

ressource-font.png.36d7ec81f1c3e83f4c7fb4c37d95233c.png

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having a similar problem with both Baskerville Bold Italic and Baskerville BT bold italic though the roman, italic and bold versions are fine and I have recently downloaded new versions of the fonts in case mine were corrupted.  I had the same problem with Baskerville bold italic, bit not the Baskerville BT version in PagePlus.

I attach a sample, though for some reason when I try to set the font as Baskerville it chooses Baskerville BT instead, so the top part of the sample is invalid. However, it illustrates the issue with Baskerville BT.

Test file.pdf

11 hours ago, Jonathan David said:

I have been having a similar problem

And did you tried to uncheck Subset Fonts and it still gave you a wrong result?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

15 hours ago, Jonathan David said:

not the Baskerville BT version in PagePlus.

59 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi @Jonathan David

pageplus? 

I understand @Jonathan David to be saying that in Affinity Publisher there is a problem with both Baskerville Bold Italic and Baskerville BT Bold Italic but in Serif PagePlus there is no problem with the Baskerville BT version (so something is being handled differently in the Affinity app).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

I have re-downloaded Baskerville BT and it now seems to work OK, though the way of changing from roman to bold, italic and bold italic is different from what I have been used to.

Unfortunately, I also re-downloaded a free version of Baskerville but it seems to lack any means of creating bold italic.

Obviously more experiments needed.

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

PS Alfred's interpretation of what I was trying to say is correct.

33 minutes ago, Jonathan David said:

it seems to lack any means of creating bold italic.

You'll only be able to use bold and italic versions if the font installed includes those variations. For example, I have Baskerville BT installed with four variations (normal, bold, italic, bold italic), but Baskerville Old Face only has the normal version available.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem with Apple´s SF Pro. The Thin version of the package is not exported. I tried to uncheck subset fonts but no change. Please help. You can find SF Pro on developers.apple.com 

P.S.: I can export it via Outline Text but then there is no option for the printer for fine tuning, since all font-settings are gone. Then also the kerning is done by AF and I have seen hard mistakes by rendering it.

Edited by PT0001

3 hours ago, PT0001 said:

I am having the same problem with Apple´s SF Pro. The Thin version of the package is not exported. I tried to uncheck subset fonts but no change. Please help. You can find SF Pro on developers.apple.com 

P.S.: I can export it via Outline Text but then there is no option for the printer for fine tuning, since all font-settings are gone. Then also the kerning is done by AF and I have seen hard mistakes by rendering it.

The SF Pro fonts available from the Apple dev site are purposely damaged so they do not work properly in Windows applications, and even in non-Apple applications on macOS. There are fixed versions around. IIRC there is a fixed version available on GitHub.

What they damaged causes the wrong fonts to be embedded in PDFs. Sabotage. 

21 hours ago, PT0001 said:

what do you mean by "purposely damaged"? I can't see that...
I use them on osx with affinity publisher from the App Store.

Given you posted in the APub for Windows forum I assumed you were using Windows. Regardless it also affects affects applications on macOS which expect properly constructed fonts.

The fonts have multiple duplicates in name fields used for the style linking. And one font has some random text in another rarely used name field. This confuses applications such as Word, LibreOffice, and APub - even on macOS.

Remember, those fonts were only provided for developing applications for macOS. This is not some font vendor concerned about maximum cross-platform compatibility. 

Someone who knows what they are doing can fix the fonts in about five minutes. So either the Apple font developers are complete idiots, or they sabotaged these fonts.

• 8 months later...

Im struggling with a similar issue. Using v2.1.0. My font manager shows all fonts are ok, none are missing. Subset fonts is unchecked in exporting. The preview looks good in the export window, but when It finally converts to a pdf, the fonts are jumbled.

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 3.43.28 PM.png

35 minutes ago, mandeceiver said:

but when It finally converts to a pdf, the fonts are jumbled.

What PDF viewing application are you using to view the PDF? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, mandeceiver said:

Im struggling with a similar issue. Using v2.1.0. My font manager shows all fonts are ok, none are missing. Subset fonts is unchecked in exporting. The preview looks good in the export window, but when It finally converts to a pdf, the fonts are jumbled.

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 3.43.28 PM.png

First, best to post v2 issues in the v2 forums - not in an old v1 thread.

Text which looks like that is usually a corrupted font cache,
or duplicate font files in the Fonts folders.
Could also be a font family with messed-up names inside.

This is a Windows forum so I assume you are using Windows.
What font is being used?
Can you attach the documents? (the APub doc and the PDF)

I missed that this was a v1 forum or windows, so I have both of those things against me it seems. The font is Polaris and it looks like we are getting notifications that it will no longer be supported form the Adobe side of things as well, so maybe that's the issue?

4 hours ago, mandeceiver said:

I missed that this was a v1 forum or windows, so I have both of those things against me it seems. The font is Polaris and it looks like we are getting notifications that it will no longer be supported form the Adobe side of things as well, so maybe that's the issue?

Please start a new thread in the V2 Bugs macOS forum or the general Desktop Questions forum.
Include:
- OS and version
- Affinity app and version
- full font name and version
(there are several Polaris fonts, but this one looks like Galaxie Polaris, which would explain the problem)