You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

Is there any way to lessen the strain on my Mac Book when I'm using AP? I currently edit photos at 3000x4000pixels and my 2013 rMBP can get up to 70 and 80 degrees when I use the lasoo for large areas.

In order to prevent my mac melting down, I use iStat Menus and set my fan speed to medium whenever I use AP. Doing so keeps my mac at a steady 40-50degrees. But I would prefer not to have to do this, as I guess I'm wearing out my mac's fans by always having them on medium when I use AP.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Arundele22, there are a few things you can try in addition to what MBd suggested, although I would attempt those last personally, as I like more accurate display. Under Affinity Preferences > Performance tab:

First make sure you have turned ON Use Hardware OpenGL.

Second make sure to turn ON Use only integrated GPU (assuming your rMBP has a discreet)

These two setting should help reduce the thermal load on your system.

Hi there,

Is there any way to lessen the strain on my Mac Book when I'm using AP? I currently edit photos at 3000x4000pixels and my 2013 rMBP can get up to 70 and 80 degrees when I use the lasoo for large areas.

In order to prevent my mac melting down, I use iStat Menus and set my fan speed to medium whenever I use AP. Doing so keeps my mac at a steady 40-50degrees. But I would prefer not to have to do this, as I guess I'm wearing out my mac's fans by always having them on medium when I use AP.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Yes hardware OpenGL is faster and more energy efficient. Only turn it off for older machines that don't have hardware support for OpenGL.

Affinity doesn't need the extra power of the GPU (according to the devs) as it's already a highly efficient engine, according to the devs. This setting is for laptops to save battery power.

ok yes I would also not like to set the viewing options to these bad parameters .....

is hardware openGL good or bad for the perm performance? I guess it´s good? Or where could be the advantage of turning it of if it´s better quality and more efficient? (I know you suggested to turn it on and I also have it turned on)

I once turned on only integrated GPU and even my iMac became slow as hell - like really unusable slow

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Thanks MBd and Ronnyb :-)!!! I will give those things a shot.

I was using "Best View" but I already had dither and precise clipping turned off. I have changed to nearest neighbour.

First make sure you have turned ON Use Hardware OpenGL.

Second make sure to turn ON Use only integrated GPU (assuming your rMBP has a discreet)

I already had Use Hardware OpenGL on, but I have also turned on Use only integrated GPU.

THANKS so much :-) I will give it a whirl and see if it improves.

• 5 years later...

Hey,

I have the overheating mac issue with macbook pro 16inch. It gets extremely hot and loud. Not even after long hours; in minutes. I don't use brushes, I don't use a tablet. I'm not working on big photos, actually no photos at all. I don't even have other programs running. 

I heard macbook pro 16 inch has overheating problem, but for me it seems to be only happening with affinity apps (photo & designer). 

I have turned on use only integrated GPU option but can't find the use hardware OpenGl option. 

Do you have a solution for this?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 20.43.20.png