You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird Preflighting of Passthrough PDFs

If I load a PDF that is not PDF/X compliant (but otherwise a perfectly 'normal' and valid PDF for printing) as a "Pass-through" onto a page, and then Export the page as a PDF, I get a Preflight warning that the PDF version is "not compatible with the export version" and "the PDF will be rasterized". 

Firstly, this seems to depend on the Preflight profile, whose default is for PDF/X-3 PDFs -- regardless of the PDF Export Profile's "Compatibility" setting for PDF versions.

Secondly, the PDF does not, in fact, get rasterized.

Thirdly, it claims the PDF is version 1.7, when in fact, it's actually 1.4. Or does it mean the intended version of the exported PDF? It's not clear.

Fourthly, l can't remember InDesign ever complaining about PDF versions in this way: it would just create a PDF/X-3 PDF, regardless of the 'image' PDFs' versioning. Transparency might get rasterized, but that's slightly different from "This PDF will be rasterized".

Is this another quirk of Affinity's bizarre approach to handling PDFs, or just a bad UI, or something else? The warning seems to be incorrect, inappropriate, and lacking in detail.

Screenshot 8.png

Screenshot 9.png

Screenshot 10.png

On 5/25/2021 at 6:04 AM, Callum said:

As far as I'm aware this behaviour is logged as a bug it should hopefully be fixed soon.

On 5/24/2021 at 2:58 AM, benwiggy said:

The Preflight Profile should automatically match the requirements of the Export Preset.

I'm curious what behavior it is that is logged as a bug.

Because, it seems to me, that in the general case Preflight cannot know what is going to happen during Export because it is happening before the user has a chance to set the export options. Therefore the only general solution is for the user to first set the Preflight options to match what they will eventually set for Export.

In other words, Preflight cannot "automatically match the requirements of the Export Preset" because Preflight happens before the Export options have been set. (At least, for the first time that the file is exported. Once the file has been exported once, those options could be applied to Preflight for any future Exports (though depending on what the user specifies during those future Exports there could still be a mismatch).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1