You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deleting Artboard causes screen draw issue in 1.9.1 + 1.9.2

I have never used artboards, all my documents consist of shapes that are drawn on layers in the main document area.

When I create an artboard with the artboard tool, I can draw it over my document, or I can draw it outside of the existing document and shapes.

After drawing it, it appears as a separate 'artboard' layer in the layers panel.

I decided I didn't want to use the artboard, so I right clicked it in the layers panel and choose 'delete'.

After deleting the empty artboard, my entire document disappears from view and the window area goes grey, except for a white rectangle where the deleted artboard use to be and the contents that overlapped with it. My layers are still there in the layers panel, as I only deleted the empty 'artboard' layer, and I can select them with the arrow tool, but this only shows their outline. 

The only way to get out of this situation is to close my document without saving changes.

This problem occurs both when my Renderer is set to WARP, or my GPU (RTX 2080Ti)

image.thumb.png.42ebdbcf811c24619716eceec7e35685.png

garden design.afdesign

When you pull out an Artboard and it is smaller than the documents content, if you delete that Artboard it will create a canvas to the same size of the Artboard you have just deleted.

To test this,

• Pull out a small Artboard outside the area where you content sits, this prevents the Artboard from collecting the contents and placing it within the bounds of the Artboard as child layers
  • Now resize the art board to encompass the content, the Artboard shouldn't place the content as child layers.
  • Now delete the Artboard
  • The canvas should be the same size as the Artboard was.

You can do the above with a smaller Artboard to give you the effect you have in your screenshot.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 hours ago, Rob123456789 said:

After drawing it, it appears as a separate 'artboard' layer in the layers panel.

I decided I didn't want to use the artboard, so I right clicked it in the layers panel and choose 'delete'.

After drawing with the artboard tool you have altered the size of the document to be the size of the artboard. When you delete the artboard your document size remains that new smaller size. You'll have to either go to the File > Document Setup... menu item or Select all the items and copy paste into a new document of the proper size. The latter is quicker and easier.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

When you pull out an Artboard and it is smaller than the documents content, if you delete that Artboard it will create a canvas to the same size of the Artboard you have just deleted.

To test this,

• Pull out a small Artboard outside the area where you content sits, this prevents the Artboard from collecting the contents and placing it within the bounds of the Artboard as child layers
  • Now resize the art board to encompass the content, the Artboard shouldn't place the content as child layers.
  • Now delete the Artboard
  • The canvas should be the same size as the Artboard was.

You can do the above with a smaller Artboard to give you the effect you have in your screenshot.

Cheers for the explanation - I didn't realise that Artboards behaved this way

• Staff

Hi @Rob123456789,

On 5/23/2021 at 1:25 AM, Rob123456789 said:

After deleting the empty artboard, my entire document disappears from view and the window area goes grey, except for a white rectangle where the deleted artboard use to be and the contents that overlapped with it. My layers are still there in the layers panel, as I only deleted the empty 'artboard' layer, and I can select them with the arrow tool, but this only shows their outline. 

After deleting the Artboard, please make sure View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas is unticked in order to see the objects on the pasteboard :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!