You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Beta odd drawing issue, placed images with transparency [1.9.4.243] 

Photo Beta odd drawing issue, placed images with transparency [1.9.4.243] 
I get these ugly bits when I place an image with transparent background. Viewing zoom level set to ‘Zoom to fit’ gives the worst result and the placed image may need to be larger than 50 % size to see the effect.

Nothing like this is in the Retail 1.9.3 version

2053573407_ScreenShot2021-05-22at6_32_39AM.png.5f1724cf9147add93f0ff372d60e02ee.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Can't reproduce. What kind of image is it?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Here is a movie of a placed image (affinity photo document) which has one layer and is transparent around the edges. What I am doing is using the Transform panel to change the x y coordinates. The outline is the size of the image and it is placed at about 50% size in a photo document.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I’m not seeing that behavior here Old Bruce.
Dose this happen on both your listed Macs?
I have seen something very similar before, though it was on a machine with a failing GPU and/or motherboard.
But it might also be connected to which GPU rendering option you have selected in Photo’s preferences, possibly?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

5 minutes ago, markw said:

Dose this happen on both your listed Macs?

The MacBook is so very slow I don't run the betas on it. The problem happens only with the beta on the Mac Pro, so I doubt it is a catastrophic hardware failure.

There is one more piece of information needed. Use a 16 bit RGB. Place a 16 bit file in an 8 bit RGB document.

Thanks for the extra info Bruce.
Still no problem here though…?
Not sure what to suggest now? Other than ask the usual;
Is it just this one document effected or all similar ones?
Dose it persist after a system restart?
Can you post sample files that always demonstrate the problem?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Thanks for the test files but again sorry to say Bruce that I’m still not getting what is happening for you.
Made a quick recording of me reproducing your steps, I think.
If I’ve missed a step or something or misunderstanding your steps, just say and I’ll try again.

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

Is Metal enabled and if so can you try disabling it?

I cannot reproduce this either I'm afraid. 

More testing and I can say that thanks to @markw's prodding me for more info and then testing what I suggested I have been able to narrow it down to the Mac Pro and the use of Hardware Acceleration: Enable Metal compute acceleration. This reminds me of an earlier beta with a bug due to the use of the dual graphics cards in the Mac Pro.

Here is what will not make the bug show up, if I check it then the glitch shows up.

1571034102_ScreenShot2021-05-24at8_51_16AM.png.7812918bf6bf402dc7769f0c8dabe653.png

Thanks for the added screenshot there Bruce
But… Yes, you know what I’m going to say!
Setting my app preferences exactly as per yours, and trying with HA activated or not, I still can’t reproduce your issue with your test file, or any other files for that matter.
And it is only in AP that this is happening for you. Not in any other graphics, video or animation apps?

I notice that you have 'Use integrated GPU only' selected. Do the Mac Pro 2013's have integrated GPU's? I thought that was something built into the chips in laptop Macs? Though I'm willing to admit I could be wrong about that!

37 minutes ago, markw said:

Do the Mac Pro 2013's have integrated GPU's?

The Mac pros do.

The MacBook pros do not.

Hummm, not sure what to say here other than my Macbook Pro dose list an integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 buil-in, with the Radion Pro 555 using PCIe bus.
As you can see in my signature my Radeon Pro is slightly bigger than the integrated GPU.
And I believe the Affinity apps are able to use as many GPUs as you can through at them.
So in truth I’m not sure what advantages there are in the Affinity apps preferences to ticking ‘Use only integrated GPU’? Documentation on this seems a bit scant.
But forgive me this may all be drifting a bit away from your actual problem!

• 3 weeks later...

In the 1.10.0.244 version of the beta, this problem seems to go away if I uncheck Hardware Acceleration in the Performance pane of the Preferences.

Excellent news Bruce😎
I have just now downloaded the new beta myself!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.