You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fill Speed & Control

Hi

I had a seaerch through and couldn't find anything else on this, so hope I'm not wasting time.

I am copying a large document approx 500 mm square (give or take) at 100%.

It is, in fact the plan of a church graveyard.  Since a lot of it is repetitive, I have formed a number of 'assets' that I can re-use.

Since each asset will form a new layer, I now have a large drawing with several hundred layers.

So far, so good.

However, when switching between functions, the program has a habit of defaulting to the base layer (which in itself is a bit irritating).

The result of this is when colouring in sections (a la Map), it is also very easy to find yourself using colur fill on the wrong layer, the base layer.

This has happened to me on a few occasions and there appears to be no way of interrupting the fill (Esc key, Ctl/c etc) and it took AGES to complete.

The result was that, the last time this happened to me, I had my iPhone handy and timed it.

The process did not end for over 7 mimutes.   Just to repeat that, SEVEN minutes (not counting the time to pick up my phone, select timer and press start !!).

Ignoring the time the (wrong) fill actually took, and the habit of the software to keep on returning to a default position, wouldn't it be nice to be able to interrupt it?

I would add, the correct layer fill was almost instantaneous.

With your undoubted skills, I look forward to being able to curse, press Esc or Ctl/c and then select the correct layer sometime in the future.  😉

Otherwise, good piece of kit which I enjoy using.

Keep up the good work, all, especially the bit about being able to interrupt fills.  😁👍

Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz   Skylake 14nm
16.0GB Dual-Channel Crucial Memory 1066MHz (14-14-14-35)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (EVGA) (I just CAN'T get an upgrade for love or money!)
978GB Crucial_CT1050MX300SSD1 (SATA (SSD))
Windows 10 Version  10.0.19042 Build 19042

Affinity Designer (and the others) 1.9.2.1035

What if you protect the base layer from changes (the little lock next to the gear)?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Hi again, Komatos.
Good thinking!
That didn't occur, thanks.

Having said that, one's having to take an action in the assumption that you might very well make a mistake.
Should one have to?
At the end of the day, I still think one should be able to interrupt actions such as flood fill, which can sometimes be lengthy.
(but, 7 minutes ... ??)

But ta anyway, I shall do that in the future.  👍

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my remarks about flood fill, I hesitate to crticise the people at Serif who do such a good job ... but I will !!  😉

Under certain circumstances it can be alnmost unusable, unless you have a huge amount of time and patience.
 As I said prviously, on one accasion, it took over 7 minutes to complete ... and that was wrong because I'd selected the wrong layer (but there's not much you can do about that)  😁

I generated a pixel layer, with an irregular shape bounded by various objects on multiple layers, then tried to flood fill it subject to surrounding objects.
I have discovered that the higher up the 'heap' of layers you put the pixel layer to be coloured, the faster it seems to work.
Put it near the bottom of, say, hundreds of layers, you can go off for a coffee and be wiping your lips before it finishes.

I have also found that the 'Flood Fill' notification dialogue does not always appear, and never does when I select the wrong layer.  The whole screen simply grays out when I try to cancel, indicating the software is up to something which does not allow interruption.

PS.  The first line was a jest.  Designer (as with the others) is shaping up to be a great program.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...